Author Topic: Scope and Scale  (Read 1497 times)

Offline GorillaBomb

• Scout
    • View Profile
Scope and Scale
« on: September 21, 2007, 01:40:19 am »
I think that Machines 2 should have a larger scope, huge battalions of machines, fleets of air units, maybe large naval units, and all that awsome stuff, but still be able to take command of an individual unit, or maybe a squad. Another cool feature would be to diversify the weapons, units, and technologies (maybe a sniper  :mrgreen: ) What do you all think? Would machines be good with an epic scope??

Offline Deliverance

• is back!
  • Goliath
    • View Profile
Re: Scope and Scale
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 03:25:42 am »
I disagree.

Huge sweeping forces is very different from the original strategy and flavour wise, and also leaves the ability to go into FPS mode pretty superfluous - like one wee little grunt that can dodge bullets and shoot more accurately is going make an impact on a battle where there are hundreds of units, and you would die so quickly (if units died slow and we had hundreds of units, the game would never end).

We are working on the weapons lists (well, I am... well, I was). We are updating it.
Quote from: AgpKReaper
Fungi of moisture seized it.

Offline M123

• Ignoranth ith...um... blifth!
  • Nurse
  • Bee Bomber
  • Blargh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 11:58:46 am »
Argh! No way!

I agree with Deliverance - we should keep it the same size or maybe just a little bit larger.

I don't think we should be creating something similar to SupCom, which had almost zero unit variety and most of the time all that you could see of your robotic armies were those slightly confusing tactical icons. (Personally I think Spring has more distinctive tactical icons between units)

"Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail?"

Offline randomperson1

• Wasp
  • randomperson1: Insanity gone mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 05:11:34 pm »
Argh! No way!

I agree with Deliverance - we should keep it the same size or maybe just a little bit larger.

yeah, I also agree. Keep the strategy.

Offline machines freak1990

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 07:12:02 pm »
But maybe we should try to make something like Earth 2150.
Different Races there have completely different units.
for example: in Earth2150 the ED uses tanks while the LC uses hovercrafts.
know what i try to say?
my idea is to make different races like before but each one has compleately different units Chassis with a set number of weapon slots to make individual units yourself.

to see what i mean watch this     http://www.operationx.tk/
and tell me what you think bout my idea. :mrgreen:

Offline asdam1

• I'm glad to see you read these. :-)
  • Bee Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 04:13:22 pm »
I also agree with... uh... lemme see... DELIVERANCE. We (or at least I) are trying to make this similar to the original Machines right? Isn't this why were trying to make this in the first place? because we like the origanal Machines? Anyway, I think we should try and make this as similar to Machines as possible. With of course, some new machines, strategies, missions, and twists...
Have you checked out any of my mods?
-If not, it's probably because I haven't uploaded any. :wink:

Offline Solo Ex

• "ALifeTimeOfDreamingGetsYouNoWhere,OnlyBydoingDoWeGain..."
  • Wasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 11:01:37 am »

know what i try to say?
my idea is to make different races like before but each one has compleately different units Chassis with a set number of weapon slots to make individual units yourself.

to see what i mean watch this     http://www.operationx.tk/
I really think that's a great idea but it wouldn't be similar to machines ,but what the heck it will make it far more interesting .
I am a player of old games , still own a Pentium 3, 1 GHz
computer and don't think I'll be changing it any time sooner.Please sign the machines sequel petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/machines/

Offline Nmjnky

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 01:26:25 am »

know what i try to say?

to see what i mean watch this     http://www.operationx.tk/
I really think that's a great idea but it wouldn't be similar to machines ,but what the heck it will make it far more interesting .

I think the Earth 2150/warzone 2100 approach would be a winner. It would make sense from an development point of view (both for you mortal programmers and the Artificial intelligences in the game) as it is less work to design a single component than it it to design a whole new unit. Its also easier to copy that neat new unit the enemy has just thrown at you than create it from scratch so chances are the machines on both sides would be kind of similar. Probably an easier approach would be to have all the different chassis types look slightly different.