Author Topic: What do we want!? (gathering threat)  (Read 2833 times)

Offline spazz

• Mechatronics Student
  • Wasp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.peterschwe.de.vu
What do we want!? (gathering threat)
« on: June 08, 2006, 04:28:06 am »
I made a new threat for that because on "Engine" it could going under. (Fast changing topics there)
Ok.. That's what we want for Machines2 to choose an Engine:

- Maximum mod ability
- nice Graphics (means exactly?)
- more suggestions from you  :wink:

Now I add some comparisons between Glest and Ogre concerning to those topics:
Max. mod ability:
Glest tells at their homepage that due to XML their engine can modify the game at everything concerning units (HP,MP,armor,sight,requirements,...,skills and 3d Model), upgrades for Units (Artifacts), factions, resources, tile sets. It also brings on a Glest map editor.
On Ogre we'd have to program it ourselves. That could be somehow hard and is not really necessary of we could use Glest, because Ogre is only a Graphic engine, no Strategy game engine.

nice Graphics:
Ogre is the best open source graphics engine I know. It' great features make it possible to make better graphics than Glest has? (afaik! I'll just download Glest and try out some tools of it.)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 06:15:20 pm by sloik2000 »

:D HOLY POLYgon!! :D

Offline Dr. Bidoof

• Certified Google Librarian - doctorate in ex libris google
  • Doctor
  • Wasp
    • View Profile
Re: What do we want!? (gathering threat)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 02:53:14 pm »
I'd like to see a logo for races, and I'd also like to see how a hi-res textures would look like. We could convert the reaper skin then skin your reaper model to see how it looks, and if we like it we can all work on making the rest hi res or make new skins.
Wikipedia - now you don't need the 27 volumes of encyclopaedia britannica.

Offline Suskis

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 04:27:32 am »
I don't know exactly, so I will tell you what I would like so see.

Actually I think the game was AWESOME and that only the multiplayer part was a turndown.
Moreover, whan you've played all the missions, the challenge is over.

I'd love to see a total remake of the game (yes, as close as possible to the original) but with the following differences:

1) easy editor, to add infinite playability with endless community-made maps
2) good multiplayer support, with 4 player gameplay as good as single player (no teleporting or other issues).
3) an engine capable of improvements: i'd love to see bigger units in bigger maps (eg: gorillas as tall as pods that can house smaller units inside) or new weapons (warhammer 40k can give you plenty of suggestions). I'd really love to be able to customize units in factories (that is, starting from movement type - wheeled, tracked, hover - anc choosing the level of CPU inside, what weapon, what armor, speed, and so on, and have it packed and built as ordered, spending different BMUs and time to have them....
niente dovr? fermarci questa volta!

Offline Sniper Scyt

• Idea haver
  • Knight
  • usually playing machines ;P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 04:37:33 pm »
hmm, so, you're saying that glest is easier to use to format the machines but that ogre has possibly the best graphics... i dont know much, but is it possible to use both? like glest to make the machines' "skeleton" and "muscle" and ogre to create the "skin"? but if thats not possible, then glest would be the better choice.  :-P
"See With Eyes Unclouded By Hate."

Offline Apex-

• Mind the Penguin
  • Doctor
  • Goliath
  • I Seem To Have Left My Keys In The Lab...
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 11:44:15 pm »
Glest is out of the question since it has no Multiplayer. Multiplayer is KEY!!!

Offline Judas

• Current Status: Reviving
  • Gorilla
  • Relax!
    • View Profile
    • Fallout 3 Forum
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 03:56:36 am »
Glest is out of the question since it has no Multiplayer. Multiplayer is KEY!!!

but maybe we can wait for the next version that HAS multiplayer( I think) :p

or maybe we can create something using Gamemaker :p

(your game Defend the city is fuun! :p)

Offline Sniper Scyt

• Idea haver
  • Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 04:27:08 pm »
i missed the part that glest didnt have multiplayer but, no one answered my MAIN question. can we use both glest and ogre at the same time?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 12:53:49 pm by sniperscyt »

Offline Apex-

• Mind the Penguin
  • Doctor
  • Goliath
  • I Seem To Have Left My Keys In The Lab...
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 06:01:44 pm »
No, we cannot.

Offline Sniper Scyt

• Idea haver
  • Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 02:23:33 am »
ok, fair enough

~edit~ whoever is smiting me, please stop!  :cry: :cry: :cry:  im just a little  :locator:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 12:45:49 pm by sniperscyt »

Offline Automatic

• Eradicator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 10:16:51 am »
What do you mean use glest? as in use it's properties then change the models? that would not be cool  :x

Offline Devil_Gremlin

• Reaper
  • Hard Core Black and White 2 Gamer ;D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 10:12:24 pm »
 :wink: More units... More Weapons.. Maybe intro super weapons... More races... In-depth unit control... example.. when controlling a small army, your commander, but when you are like.. inside him.. you could use the number buttons to issue different orders..  :evil:

.. maybe stuff like that?  :|
Gavz

Offline X-Lord

• Eradicator
  • Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 06:31:01 am »
Some nice ideas, especially the Commanding thing :P

Offline Devil_Gremlin

• Reaper
  • Hard Core Black and White 2 Gamer ;D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 06:35:24 pm »
 :-P thanks I got it from my shoot em up game.. Hidden and dangerous 2

But seriously with the technology they have these days the we could put together some really nice ideas I think...  :smilydude:
Gavz

Offline Jhack89

• Reaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 09:12:30 pm »
Hi~ As far as it concerns programming the biggest problems would go as far as A.I. and fancy 3D effects (and eventually fancy Physical effects xD)... but as long as you keep moderate in the latter 2, I'm quite a fan of AI so I can implement even quite hard strategies given some time. Everything else you could think of, shouldn't be more than a matter of time as well.

I think after 3 years (3 years!) of discussion on this forum should be around time for releasing a Demo of Machines II. After all it's not so hard, and as long as we don't start creating something we can't know whether our ideas can be effective or not once applied to the real thing.

I also think programming a first draft of the game is very important especially as it would give us a chance to test time by time the models we create for the machines and building, as well as any other graphics. Often it's not enough just to make a "model", but a one need to take a step further and make it working well inside the game environment.

If I were to be developing it, I would firstly realize a simple multi-purpose editor, so that everybody is working on the project can at one time test in-game the models/textures/sounds/ect. they're creating. Moreover I would add to the editor the functionality to instantly switch to "play a skirmish" or the like on the map you're working on just pushing a button. I think this is one of the best functionalities of the "Age of Empires" maps editor, too xDD
Doing this way our ideas would advance much faster and eventually we can decide any time to add/delete anything from the game. It would be enough to make a priority list of the "things to be done", and we'll see the game slowing come to life itself.

I think NONE of the developing teams of the game should stop working waiting another one finish doing something. So a priority list like Graphics -> Sound -> Programming is never and ever going to bring us anywhere. Instead if possible they should work together at the same time each one with its own task list. Especially programming has LOTS of work to be done, so it's really a must start working on it as soon as possible (but a game is just an empty box without any good 3d model/graphics).

A first alpha release of the multi-purpose editor/game should take no more than a month once we start developing it. Of course, it would be a simply "working platform" for our team, especially without any (if not really dummy) A.I. nor a pleasant interface or a stunning graphics... but starting from it, step by step, we could take our time to push the envelop of what this game can become ^^

Just as my friend was telling me today, "As long as you don't start working on it, you'll never come up with anything"
Hope I succeeded in exciting your interest,

Jacopo

PS Yes, I'd also base the map saving system on XML (at least to start with), but in addiction I would add the possibility to extend it with special models/textures wrapping the hypothetic XML "mmap" file (Machines II map xD) together with them in a Zip "mmpk" file (Machines II Map pack). This way other than allowing unlimited modding capabilities on every map, would also create the ideal environment to easily proceed in developing the game, making a piece of cake exchanging small "demos" or even just "working models" among us.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:44:00 pm by Jhack89 »

Offline Tokyvivaror

• Scout
  • I DIDN'T SET MY TEXT SO COME KILL ME
    • View Profile
What do we want gathering threat
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 02:25:43 am »
OK, so the lack of funding is a good point.

Here is a philosophical point: It is simply impossible to know what we are missing out on, because well, they just not happening. Lets say antigravitation could be possible somehow, but humankind failed to prove it and discover it, so we will just never know, that we missed it...