Author Topic: Why not have massive differentiation?  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Synthonym

• Elvis
    • View Profile
Why not have massive differentiation?
« on: May 20, 2008, 08:35:04 pm »
Why not make the unit differences between the races vary greatly?
The Machines could stay the way they are now, well-rounded units produced in medium numbers from factories.
But, say, why not have the Unknowns pilot very few, but very large and deadly units (allowing for early-game balancing)? The daydream of seeing reavers standing along a cliff face blasting at some massive four / six-legged killing machine is an attractive one.
And for the third side, the opposite, swarm tactics, or even stealth.

Long story short, have each side play very very differently from one another.
I write music!

Industrial:
www.soundcloud.com/synthonym

and Chiptune!:
www.soundcloud.com/Broken-bit

Offline Unit

• In the pod, jamming with the locators
  • Reaper
    • View Profile
Re: Why not have massive differentiation?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 04:01:50 pm »
I like the idea.

But at this stage I think the best course of action would be to focus on a universal race and rather add more when it's done, keeping the development in chewable pieces (balancing is a bi... big task)  :-)

Offline Solo Ex

• "ALifeTimeOfDreamingGetsYouNoWhere,OnlyBydoingDoWeGain..."
  • Wasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 11:03:41 am »
Why not make the unit differences between the races vary greatly?
The Machines could stay the way they are now, well-rounded units produced in medium numbers from factories.
But, say, why not have the Unknowns pilot very few, but very large and deadly units (allowing for early-game balancing)? The daydream of seeing reavers standing along a cliff face blasting at some massive four / six-legged killing machine is an attractive one.
And for the third side, the opposite, swarm tactics, or even stealth.

Long story short, have each side play very very differently from one another.
That sounds great but I prefer being able to modify the weapons and create your own units .
I am a player of old games , still own a Pentium 3, 1 GHz
computer and don't think I'll be changing it any time sooner.Please sign the machines sequel petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/machines/

Offline ars68

• Wraith Reaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 03:28:15 am »
you cana ctually have customizable units and still be diferentiated.  basically, you have x set of things you can use for this side, y set for this side, and z set for the 3rd.  and just have it be in general, one is huge, but costly, equiment, or weak but cheap.

Offline Solo Ex

• Wasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 06:03:38 am »
you cana ctually have customizable units and still be diferentiated.  basically, you have x set of things you can use for this side, y set for this side, and z set for the 3rd.  and just have it be in general, one is huge, but costly, equiment, or weak but cheap.
good idea , I have already seen those working in warzone 2100 and other games .Pretty neat ,if I may say so...
computer and don't think I'll be changing it any time sooner.Please sign the machines sequel petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/machines/

Offline ars68

• Wraith Reaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 02:16:36 am »
actually... warzone 2100 isn't the greatest of an example... I mean, it did have the 3-4 different sides, but you could eventually build them all, especially considering in multiplayer mode (afaik) there WAS no difference, you all got the same building options ultimately. and actually, even then, the only real difference was the body, not gun or mode of transport.

for an even better representation, try metal knights: terminate resistance (even older game)
it has customizable units, but still 3 very distinct sides (with the exception of buildings... there not customizable at all, but still different from each other) but you still had limits on what could be on what, ie, putting a large cannon on a small scout body ( ...ah the memories)

but anyway, ya, just limit what sides can build which pieces basically.
and no offense, but honestly most the machines units seemed geared toward the 'swarm' tactic then well balanced.  which would make sense, they don't a pilot in each unit   :clint:

Offline Solo Ex

• Wasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 03:33:08 am »
actually... warzone 2100 isn't the greatest of an example... I mean, it did have the 3-4 different sides, but you could eventually build them all, especially considering in multiplayer mode (afaik) there WAS no difference, you all got the same building options ultimately. and actually, even then, the only real difference was the body, not gun or mode of transport.

ya well I just couldn't find a proper example , Ive never played metal knights: terminate resistance , I don't have it .

Offline ars68

• Wraith Reaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 04:20:21 pm »
ya, it's one of those games you kinda figure didn't get out there to much... look it up it probably has at least 1 youtube video of it, if not an entire download (btw, if your wondering, only time I say you could download it like that is when it's so old even if the company is still around that made it, I doubt they even remember what the game is let alone keep copyrights on it, such as machines)

Offline Solo Ex

• Wasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 12:47:21 am »
..................... I doubt they even remember what the game is let alone keep copyrights on it, such as machines)
now that's totally agreeable ,anyway I found a youtube video on the game. not bad but it's 2d though .
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 02:42:29 am by Solo Ex »

Offline ars68

• Wraith Reaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 05:39:54 pm »
I know... however I was referring to there customization system... not the gameplay itself.  only uses 3 parts, which may or may not work in this case...   perhaps a system of 2 main parts, and then something like 'sub parts'?
main part 1: locomotion
main part 2: chassis

then depending on chassis, it opens up sub parts:
sub part 1: weapon/tool
sub part 2: weapon/tool
sub part 3: weapon/tool

just would have to make sure t here is enough total number of 'slots' to use the maximum number of equips...  as I'm sure you'd want to add a couple other things in there to... such as an option for a tool or weapon specific part, but gets a bonus to it (like you can only have tools on it, but it gets +10% build power, but the chassis perhaps has 15% less hp)

actually... now that I think of it... that should do it right there, just make a different chassis for the different options available:
locomotion: wheeled, legged, tracked, hover, flying
then chassis: scout, grunt, reaper, crusader, devastator, gorilla, commander, commandant, builder (all 4 models)

and basically each chassis has different attributes... say scout is cheapest, but least hp, grunt is a little more expensive, and is slower, but can actually carry heavier weapons (or has a bonus to firepower)

just to note, pretty much, this is the system that machines 1 already used... just had the units premade and you just select between them... legged gorilla (heavy armour, 3 weapon slots) wheeled scout (light, fast, bolter or disruptor)

after that, you basically say, this set of parts is only for unknown, this set of parts (or chassis, or weapons) is for humans, and this set is for machines, and so on.  the parts exclusively for that side, would basically be what leads to differentiation

Offline Solo Ex

• Wasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 11:20:36 pm »
we could probably add some new chasis with varying amount of sockets so that it can  have different number of weapon  as well and we can probably add different modes of compatibility to the sockets , something like the mech warrior layout system perhaps and
maybe we could add arm sockets to the machines .