Author Topic: You might approve of this...  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Naga

• Warrior
    • View Profile
You might approve of this...
« on: July 22, 2008, 03:40:58 pm »
I made this for my Science Fiction class:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S3lqFql09g

Offline Kekxo

• Crusader
    • View Profile
Re: You might approve of this...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 08:19:37 am »
I noticed this video some time before but I did not realize that it was a member of WiredForWar.org who produced it. Anyway, how did your Science Fiction class react to it? I personally would rate this video 3 out of 5 points, as some parts of it do not appeal to me. I would like to list up what I critcize on your video:

• In the "Star Wars" introduction there is too much text displayed in a too short time.
  • Why did you write IT always in capital letters? Never mind, it is just wierd to see it at first.
  • The next scene is somehow boring. You see a Reaper running up and down for 30 seconds until action arrives. I would have shortened that time.
  • The Reapers also have a strange colour... I first wondered if you modified their textures until I read that you used a camcorder.
  • The squad attacking the first base is in the same colour of the base itself. That was very confusing... I guess you only had one computer to make your film and that was your only opportunity to simulate an attack.
  • Did I get it right that the defending machines strike the attacking ones back? As I said before, it is very hard to separate the groups from each other.
  • The Microsoft Sam voices of the controllers remind me of a certain Halo 2 parody. I do not like MS Sam due to its wierd pronouciation at the end of the sentences.
  • (Childish dialogs)
  • I really like the voice distorter you used to make the voices for the Commandant-Reaper dialog.
  • I like the research scene and those thereafter(especilly the FPS scene) although the Knight Templar changes its colour while approaching the base.
  • Also nice: Annihilaion of the Knight through Ion cannon and approaching Reapers(unfortunately always in the wrong colour)
  • Nuke scene has a very strange-cutted triumph music in the background.
  • What are those computers "back on earth"?

Anyway, you put great effort in this video and it is the best machinima on Machines I ever saw.
Looking for downloads all around Machines? Try the download section and report any suggestions for it to me.

Offline Naga

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 09:58:54 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for taking your time to watch it!  The class liked it as a whole.  I got some kind of special school recognition for doing it.  I will now address your points.

-In the "Star Wars" introduction there is too much text displayed in a too short time.
Explanation:  I didn't think so, and no one in the class commented on that.  Oh well, I guess I could've slowed it more.

-Why did you write IT always in capital letters? Never mind, it is just wierd to see it at first.
Explanation:  Have you ever read A Wrinkle in Time?  The main bad guy (a brain on a pedestal) is called IT.  Also a slight homage to how the Cybrids in the game Starsiege address things.

-The next scene is somehow boring. You see a Reaper running up and down for 30 seconds until action arrives. I would have shortened that time.
Explanation:  I noticed that too late.  I should correct that.

-The Reapers also have a strange colour... I first wondered if you modified their textures until I read that you used a camcorder.
Explanation:  Yeah, for some reason, when I used FRAPS, the screen always came out completely black.  It also slowed my computer down quite a bit, which was surprising, considering it is pretty good, especially for only running this old of a game at the time.

-The squad attacking the first base is in the same colour of the base itself. That was very confusing... I guess you only had one computer to make your film and that was your only opportunity to simulate an attack.
Explanation:  Yeah, only one computer.  My "friend," whom I have helped dearly make videos like this one for school, didn't want to help.  ****him.  It would've been perfect if he would've sat down for one hour and played the role of the other machines, but I guess he's not grateful for the times I've spent my whole weekend basically doing his projects for him.  Oh well, next time he needs help, I'll leave him to suffer.

-Did I get it right that the defending machines strike the attacking ones back? As I said before, it is very hard to separate the groups from each other.
Explanation:  Yes.

-The Microsoft Sam voices of the controllers remind me of a certain Halo 2 parody. I do not like MS Sam due to its wierd pronouciation at the end of the sentences.
Explanation:  It is hard to understand.  I tried to make their voices different enough so you didn't get them mixed up, while still sounding overly electronic.

-(Childish dialogs)
Explanation:  I wanted to do a machinima that used Machines, but constraints meant that I couldn't spend enough time to develop a decent plot, so I resorted to being childish.  Sorry if you didn't like it.  I plan on doing another machinima like this one, but with more depth, and it won't be so childish.

-I really like the voice distorter you used to make the voices for the Commandant-Reaper dialog.
Explanation:  Yeah, it rocks.

-I like the research scene and those thereafter(especilly the FPS scene) although the Knight Templar changes its colour while approaching the base.
Explanation:  Thanks!  Again, if only my "friend" would've helped me...

-Also nice: Annihilation of the Knight through Ion cannon and approaching Reapers(unfortunately always in the wrong colour)
Explanation:  Thanks again.  And as mentioned earlier, only one computer...  Thinking about it even more, I'm getting really annoyed that my "friend" refused to help.

-Nuke scene has a very strange-cutted triumph music in the background.
Explanation:  I was trying to find that sort of fast chanting/orchestra music that I hear rather often in videos when something "epic" is happening.  I forget the name of it, but it's a famous piece.  I couldn't find it, so I just used the victory music and hoped no one in the class would really notice.  No one did.

-What are those computers "back on earth"?
Explanation:  It is "IT," the NORAD supercomputer mentioned in the intro scroll.  The picture, actually of a Cray X-MP supercomputer, is kind of screwed up.

Again, thanks for watching and scrutinizing it.

Offline X-Lord

• Eradicator
  • Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 08:14:13 pm »
lol

I liked it so much, especially the two talking PODs :lolhammer:

Offline mrhiggens

• custom title?!
  • Wasp
  • MEXICANS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 04:29:51 pm »
i watched this video a while ago (few months) the microsoft sam part made me lol as it reminded me of halo 3 machinima of arby and the chief

im in ur base killin ur dudez XD
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 04:35:28 pm by mrhiggens »

Offline Tyron

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 06:27:09 am »
That was quite a good vidio i thought... and well put together. Brought back some good memorys as well, although i did think the bigining bit was a bit cheesey though lol.

But well done.

Offline Vidocq

• Reaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 07:21:20 pm »
Good job on the movie

liked it very much