Author Topic: Abolish the 5 post measure!  (Read 4044 times)

Offline mr_steel

• Reaper
    • View Profile
Re: Abolish the 5 post measure!
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 09:46:13 pm »
What have you got against smileys?  :mrgreen:

I have nothing against them as long as a post does not overflow with them. One point of the golden rules says:
  • Don't put more than 5 Smilies in your post.

In addition to that, smileys can really mess the text layout insofar that they are bigger than letters, increasing the line size(see quote of mine).
That's all. Please notice that too many smilies are annoying.
ok

Offline Deliverance

• is back!
  • Goliath
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 08:49:47 pm »
Perhaps if people don't know what the prerequisites for downloading the discs are it would stop people spamming the karma/posts/ideas or whatever it is you need to do to get them. No matter what you make it, people are going to try and do it as fast as possible to cut corners, such as making another account to spam karma or spam posts or whatever.

If only the people in control of the discs knew when someone has earned the discs (such as a karma amount or a certain number of posts) they could offer the disc to those people through PM.

The problem I see with this is keeping track of so many peoples' posts/karma and then having to reply individually to these people. Perhaps there could be some kind of automated system?

Also I am not sure what you'd be able to tell people about getting them without them taking it the wrong way and spamming but also without them not knowing you can get the discs (this is important, as I think the majority of forum contributors started from people who were interested in getting the game again).

Another thing - perhaps the karma system could be for individual posts? Or at least a second, separate karma system for this. It could work so that you can rate an individual post if it is particularly good. To stop the spamming - I know polls can tell when the same person has voted twice, can something like this recognition system be utilised? Under this system perhaps someone may need to get 3-5 posts that have received an overall positive karma rating to get the discs.

Also on the topic of achievements (despite you citing them as the reason TF2 sucks now) perhaps their implementation on the forums would maybe encourage people to stick around? Sure there'd be a few people who do the odd spam to get their achievement, but it would only be people who are willing to stick around that would get them and I know that was the purpose of the 5 posts for the discs in the first place.

As for achievements - similar to the escapist magazine system where you get some for adding friends, having friends add you, having hot topics, number of posts, staying around for a long time, etc.

Thoughts?
Quote from: AgpKReaper
Fungi of moisture seized it.

Offline Apex-

• Mind the Penguin
  • Doctor
  • Goliath
  • I Seem To Have Left My Keys In The Lab...
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 02:06:19 am »
Achievements will be available in the form of additional content download for the original game -- additional content being cinematics, soundtrack, etc.

I've just been skimming the forums recently... I've been busy. Sorry if I've missed something.

Offline cabdal

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 04:54:06 pm »
Ok,

"Correct language. No internet abbreviations or stuff like that."

Iím sorry did I miss something last time I checked this was the internet not an English class,
So youíre telling me that if you use abbreviations your post is automatically useless trash
 That has no value what so ever?

"Low smiley count. Avoid using too big images or pictures that are too long to load either."

I agree that the usual   :? :mrgreen: :evil: :eng101: :clint: :lolhammer: :w-hat: :squidly:can get a bit annoying
but what can you do, besides you shouldnít have to worry about how big the content your
trying to add is.

"Clear arranged text layout. Structure your thoughts, use paragraphs and lists, maybe even tables."

Yes lets make it necessary you take two hours to write a post with proper structure run it trough spell check
twice and finally sit down in front of the "Rules of Posting" to make sure your post won't be deleted.

"New content, especially media are well appreciated. Try posting some nice screenshots for example."

Just make sure its not too big. or the Newly appointed forum S.S. might hunt you down

"Another thing is that guys claiming that they can not contribute something Machines-related without ever having played the game are just too dumb to look for the Machines demo to get a first impression."

A fist impression isn't enough to hold a lengthy discussion, I would bet you've seen documentaryís on space
but you would probably have trouble discussing aero space mechanics right?

Don't get me wrong itís horrible the trash you have to wade through
But if you do too much rule making you'll end up hurting the people
Who care about the rules instead of the spammers?

Offline PrinceEdwardIII

• Master of All I Survey
  • Warrior
  • I DIDN'T SET MY TEXT SO COME KILL ME. DO IT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 02:08:21 pm »
you know something funny? this is my fifth post.
in bed

Offline mrhiggens

• custom title?!
  • Wasp
  • MEXICANS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 03:14:51 pm »
The game can be downloaded for free without 5 posts off megaupload here: http://forums.wiredforwar.org/index.php?topic=1609.0

Offline Mahmoud

• Openmachines dev
  • Eradicator
  • Sometimes change is needed, in any direction
    • View Profile
    • Just a game...
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 06:24:20 pm »
you know something funny? this is my fifth post.
You know what else is funny? YOU BUMPED A DEAD POST! LuLz but seriously, this post was dead and it lost its meaning anyway.
IRC join #wiredforwar
Development