Author Topic: Tribute  (Read 733 times)

Offline Zenith

• <inserting girder>
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
Tribute
« on: November 13, 2009, 08:55:12 am »
It's been along time since I visited, 'bout 1 maybe 2 years ago, but Machines is never far out my mind
It was the first best RTS game I ever played in my life, I played Command and Conquer before but it just wasn't as good as Machines
And apparently unlike everyone else I can never ever play this GREAT game ever again, and Machines is not the only game I can never ever play again, I can go on and on and on explaining how much I hate windows and every driver in the world but that something for another time

Now I don't know if it's because of misplaced respect or just pure nostalgic reasons but I just wanna do something to show how much I like this game, but I'm not good at programming or drawing
I once tried to make a mod for "Command and Conquer: Tiberain Sun 'Firestorm" called Dawn of the Mutants, I only got about halve way before the rules.ini got so messed up it borked the entire file and I just did not want to start again

I also made a mod for Red Alert 2 but that's still a Work In Progress because THE main modding tool is just...broken(?)
And seeing as Machines requires something more then just almost less then basic programming knowledge I wouldn't know how I could ever make a considerable contribution
I'm just good with ideas nothing else and I know that even though everyone says it at least once on this forum

I just know that if their ever was a chance that Machines 2 could be made, with the advancements in programming today this could be turned into something far more better then Machines ever was, but realising this is nothing to be sugar-coded it is very difficult, probably undo-able, but still I would do anything to make it happen

And also if I could make a suggestion seeing as it's exactly 10 years ago that Machines was released I'd drop the dream of creating a sequel
Making a sequel after such along time would not particularly be taken very seriously
I would just ReDo, ReMake, ReImagine Machines from top to bottom, clearing all the common mistakes that were made in Machines and improving others, f.e. the unit path finding and handling
But that's just one of many things I'd change and/or do better

Offline M123

• Ignoranth ith...um... blifth!
  • Nurse
  • Bee Bomber
  • Blargh!
    • View Profile
Re: Tribute
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 11:11:11 pm »
And also if I could make a suggestion seeing as it's exactly 10 years ago that Machines was released I'd drop the dream of creating a sequel
Making a sequel after such along time would not particularly be taken very seriously

*points at StarCraft 2*

Sequels can be made after a long time.

"Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail?"

Offline Zenith

• <inserting girder>
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Tribute
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 08:05:07 am »
Yes, but I was talking about RTS games that actually were good
Starcraft may be the most known and popular but is BY FAR one the very worst RTS games I've ever played
Only reason why Starcraft 2 is coming is because Blizzard somehow 'forgot' to make it, Machines never was such a success as Starcraft (even though it was like a zillion times better) so making a sequel after 10 years seems a little far-fetched
Better to reboot the first one before trying to create a sequel