Author Topic: Machines mod for Starcraft 2  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Sensang

• Grunt
    • View Profile
Machines mod for Starcraft 2
« on: April 30, 2010, 04:56:00 pm »
Hi,

I hope you guys don't see this as a cheap shot, but ive really lost hope into seeing machines 2 being ever made as an own game.
But I've figured out a way that has the best engine you could possibly get for that kind of game. You don't need programming knowledge at all. And it still can be made into something that is very much the old game that we all love ;)

This text is copied from another thread on this forum, because i think it should have its own thread if someone is really thinking about joining my idea .Ofc i don't need to be project manager or anything alike, I just know that i could almost make the whole mod by myself without any models, skins and animations. So I know it is very well possible and not too much work! I would simply love to do that to have the machines experience again.

anyone interested in making a starcraft 2 machines mod? There will be the possibility to make a mod and then create maps for that particular mod. And thats 100% supported by blizzard. Heck they even allow you to sell it at battle.net 2, with their fair share
I think i could get everything to work (3D perspective would be quite some work but atm it appears to be possible with mousemovement and everything!)
But I cant do any modelling or skinning... at least not yet. But i dont think i ever will^^

So if anyone is interested... tell me.

Ill work on this map anyhow... with the models that are in sc2 right now  (I could create a mind map for almost the whole mod and every aspect right now, so its not a long shot)

so plz tell me if you wanna join my idea... by the way. when i talk of a mod then atm every work on this would be with the galaxy editor which is a map editor. Later you can convert the map into a mod, when blizzard has published their "map publishing" system :P
But still every work on that "mod" would be with the galaxy editor. Which can be accessed without! a beta key when you download SC2 beta.

Cheers,
Sensang
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 06:07:24 am by Sensang »

Offline X-Lord

• Eradicator
  • Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Machines mod for Starcraft 2
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 07:41:03 pm »
Count me in :D

Of course I won't do a thing by the holidays, but then I'll try to do smth :)

greets and thanks for informing us!

Offline Sensang

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 08:40:56 pm »
ok cool... i will try making a little bit of a pre-alpha in the next few days. At least i wanna get the ressource-system to work as in machines ;)

if someone wants to take a look at it himself he can download this client:
http://www.bigdownload.com/games/starcraft-ii/pc/starcraft-2-wings-of-liberty-us-closed-beta-client

i think its virusfree since the site looks serios^^ (ive downloaded my client through my bnet2 account with sc2)
With that client you can access the editor without an account and even test maps.

Offline Automatic

• Eradicator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 01:31:33 pm »
Currently i will only be able to help with ideas, because i have almost no experience with 3d modeling and programming for video games. Yeah, there is no progress for Machines 2, so maybe we should just make a mod, and then move on. If we can...

Offline Sensang

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 11:49:34 pm »
well the more I see of the sc2 editor the more i am impressed by its capabilities...
I mean the bad thing would be that you would have to buy sc2 in order to play it.

Also there is an UI for "programming". You actually can't just code things... you would have to use the UI of the editor.
But ofc that's a good thing for those who cant code anyways.

The editor has a steep learning curve, but it's way less complicated than any coding.
Mostly you'd have to understand how it works and how data interacts with each other...

With that being said, my progress is:

I figured out a lot of the editor's capabilites and am totally certain that you can create a machines 2 with that editor (with everything: mouse cursors, AI, UI, all the types of units you had in the original game, all types of buildings, the resource system, the building system, the research system, 3D use of units, movement inside of buildings... afaik you can change anything that isn't engine related. SC2 itself is a mod within that engine...)

The thing is I don't want to go any deeper with my current map... because its quite some work and it's pretty pointless if there is no one interested who would create models/skins/animations... Also at least one but me who is interested in editing in the galaxy editor... Since I can share my knowledge that wouldn't take forever... I guess about 5-10 hours of working with the editor should get you far enough to help me out a lot.

Offline Mahmoud

• Openmachines dev
  • Eradicator
  • Sometimes change is needed, in any direction
    • View Profile
    • Just a game...
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 05:47:18 pm »
this is a splendid idea, especially if the editor allows us to change everything, even what they say and make tech levels, etc.
IRC join #wiredforwar
Development

Offline ProjectX

• Knight Templar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 04:50:29 am »
No updates?
I like the idea and am willing to help in the new year (I'm extremely busy until January).

Has any progress been made?

Offline Mahmoud

• Openmachines dev
  • Eradicator
  • Sometimes change is needed, in any direction
    • View Profile
    • Just a game...
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 04:55:53 pm »
nope.avi
IRC join #wiredforwar
Development