Author Topic: Modding tools  (Read 990 times)

Offline Cybertron

• Wasp
    • View Profile
Modding tools
« on: July 22, 2005, 11:09:05 am »
anny one knows if there are moding tools? mapping, modelings
? or does anny body knows wat from model file type the are and where i can find them in machines folder i realy like to make high poly models for it  :roll:

Stop its hammer time!

Offline Judas

• Current Status: Reviving
  • Gorilla
  • Relax!
    • View Profile
    • Fallout 3 Forum
Re: Modding tools
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 01:20:07 pm »
Quote from: Cybertron
anny one knows if there are moding tools? mapping, modelings
? or does anny body knows wat from model file type the are and where i can find them in machines folder i realy like to make high poly models for it  :roll:

im searching for also for mod-tool, but i have trouble finding it, maybe you or anyone else can help?

.bin file are the file that make the machines move like they do know, but i don't know the graphic files

and in the Pdata folder are the maps, they have extensions:
.arb
.bin
.psb

now im off searching a modder again....

Offline spazz

• Mechatronics Student
  • Wasp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.peterschwe.de.vu
Modding tools
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 06:18:01 am »
METAEX.exe (just to add this here)

metaex is just cool to extract and rewrite the mach1.met
having extracted the mach1.met makes it possible to modify maps (and more?)
Btw.. kadir made his mod by the use of it.. he just sent it to me.

:D HOLY POLYgon!! :D

Offline Nurse jeballi

• Nurse
  • Wasp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.artofmagic.co.uk
Re: Modding tools
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 03:57:18 am »
The mach1 file contains the following:
research tree, construction tree, parmdata file (stats for units) and the scn files (scenarios).

The models themselves are are saved in a binary format. Its a very non trivial format. E.g its not just a binary version of "20 triangles amde out of these verticies with these UV coordinates". Its actually a persistent format fo the C++ classes that aer instantiated in the code.

I do have a version of the code that was close to the released version and I was trying to modify it enough that we could load the pdata files, extract the models and then reenginner them (in fact what I was trying to do was change the LOD (level of detail) transition distances.

Its just not close enough - adding a pointer to a new class has all kinds of impact on the file structure - and I'm afraid I gave up after a couple of weeks serious effort.
Ask me anything about Machines and I'll try to answer! I don't have the source code anymore. No idea what happened to it...