Author Topic: Battle tips  (Read 10252 times)

Offline Apex-

• Mind the Penguin
  • Doctor
  • Goliath
  • I Seem To Have Left My Keys In The Lab...
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Battle tips
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2007, 07:08:28 pm »
by the way, I bet Windows isn't free on Linux either....wait :P And can Linux play Half-life 2? Didn't know that ;)

Yeah, go learn yourself something.

And Windows on Linux isn't free. But you've only got to buy it if you want Windows. Which there's no reason to with the software above that is far cheaper than Windows.

Offline Judas

• Current Status: Reviving
  • Gorilla
  • Relax!
    • View Profile
    • Fallout 3 Forum
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2007, 08:16:44 pm »
The only money i've spend on my computer the...well...uhm, nothing actually

Nothing :D I like nothing

Didn't give anbody a single cent for my PC :D Well, maybe the electricity firm, but that's not fair :P

Anyway, I think we're crapping up the topic, I suggest we stop, atleast I will ;)

Battle Tips: In my up-coming All-in-one Guide a sections about these topic will be added:

Skirmish Guides
      Normal
         Strategic Locations
      Battle
         Strategic Locations
      Special
         Strategic Locations
         Sattelite Hints & Tips
         Joust Hints & Tips
Strategy Guides
      Beginner Strategies
      Normal Strategies
      Advanced Strategies
Multiplayer Guide
      Advantages
      Importance of Stealth

I've removed some of the more....interesting topics to keep everything fresh and new for you people. If you have anything to add to these topics, please reply!

Offline Re4ver

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2007, 11:23:05 am »
I should take some notes, i havent played Machines for years now. Although you might fond yourself on the bad end of one of your own tactics. >: D

Offline Deliverance

• is back!
  • Goliath
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2007, 10:21:22 am »
I think resource denial is a valid strategy. Althought I haven't played Machines in probably close to 10 years, I have played many strategic RTS games online.

One thing I noticed when rediscovering machines is that you need to build something to farm resources, and you need units to carry them. This is basically similar to games like warcraft 3 or starcraft where harassing tactics (especially in wc3) are done on a professional level, wasting enemy resources by killing units and suffering few casualties, or attacking their resource gathering facilities directly and running away before a military presence arrives.

The reason I think this would work in machines is that there are a few fast moving units (the ones with spidery legs and the flying wasps) that would be able to go in, take out a mine and maybe some workers, then get out of there. Even an Eagle transport may work to do this. Preventing the opponent from gathering BMUs it stops them getting their high end costly weapons like the Ion Cannon and the powerful Nukes, but if you keep some defence towers at your own mines then you will have those and be at a huge advantage over your opponent.

The key to this is having a well laid-out base with adequate defence to hold off until your military units arrive to save you in case the enemy counter attacks one of your raids on their base (ie getting in fast and jacking a building or some of their worker units and then getting out of there, crippling their economy) or a mining outpost, and scouting the enemy base often is another staple to this strategy.

Also I find a balanced army generally worked for me, many knights templar and warlords supported by some reapers and air units and a gorilla or two and the enemy cannot counter it so easily by massing just one unit but I suppose this is kind of an obvious strategy :P
Quote from: AgpKReaper
Fungi of moisture seized it.

Offline Sansari

• Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2007, 10:47:41 am »
That seems like a good strategy... I want to try that out. :wink:

Offline Sansari

• Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2007, 09:10:56 pm »
PS: The full version hasn't got Quadruple Missile Sentinels, it has been replaced with Anti-air Sentinels
There were quadruple missile sentinels?!?!?! :-o :-o

Offline Jabor

• M2 Development leader of: Offtopic Posting
  • Eradicator
  • Nukage
    • View Profile
    • Quantum Legacy
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2007, 03:48:42 am »
There were quadruple missile sentinels?!?!?! :-o :-o

Yep. They got removed and replaced with AS's because thay made air units pointless for attacking the enemy base.

I still have my original Machines disks and manual....

Offline Deliverance

• is back!
  • Goliath
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2007, 03:51:47 am »
I remember something like this :/ In the demo or something, there was something very different about the missile turrets.

Offline Judas

• Current Status: Reviving
  • Gorilla
  • Relax!
    • View Profile
    • Fallout 3 Forum
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2007, 05:02:31 pm »
jup, they were fugly

Offline Crushyerbones

• Elvis
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2007, 08:00:57 pm »
WAIT A SECOND! I just got Ubuntu 2 weeks ago.... Can it run Machines?

If so, any tips on running it through WINE?
*bzzz* Reaper, Online.

Offline Pliskin

• Reaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2007, 10:52:52 pm »
I use Ubuntu 6.10.
I tried it to start with Wine 0.9.33, but all i get is a black screen. :cry:
I don't tried it under cedega. Maybe it runs.

Offline Jabor

• M2 Development leader of: Offtopic Posting
  • Eradicator
  • Nukage
    • View Profile
    • Quantum Legacy
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2007, 03:41:28 am »
Windows emulators are notorious for having problems running older games.

Good luck.

I still have my original Machines disks and manual....

Offline Sansari

• Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2007, 07:44:39 pm »
My strat against 1 AI:

1. Tech up.
2. Nuke + Ion Cannon. Ground Sentinals + Pulse Defenders for defence, with Leviathans for the frickin Crusaders.
3. Once the Nuke + Ion Cannon are online, take out their pod (so they don't get Ions of their own). Use the Ion Cannon large clusters of machines (usually their strike force  :lol: ) and the nuke on their buildings, targeting the Smelters and Refineries first. Once that's done, you've pretty much won, if necessary you can use the Ion Cannon to take out the units that are a pain to kill (Judas Warlord, I'm looking at you), and perhaps a Nuke or two if they happen to build Levi's (Very rare in my games, but it has happened a couple times)
4. Send in a mop-up squad of Judas + Crusader + Assasin/Surgeon + Whatever to finish off
The problem with the destroying smelters thing (although it's a good strategy, I use it all the time) is the CPU's can still build units for some reason. Even with 0/0 BMU's, they slowly keep constructing guys. It is slow, though, and you can beat them much more easily.
I know this is a stupid question, but did you guys realize that you can ion next to a smelter, and you will destroy it? (ions do 450 damage, and nukes do 750). Also, did you know that if you do this to the seeding pod, all you need to destroy it is 1 ion cannon and 2 nukes? It's simple math, really.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 07:50:49 pm by Amin »

Offline Deliverance

• is back!
  • Goliath
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2007, 11:24:50 pm »
That battle plan is pretty much exactly the same as mine against the computer :D

I generally don't nuke the smelters, though, I take out the troop making buildings and also their constructors get caught in the blast a lot of the time. Once the ion takes out their units and they can't build any more (even if they can build more it takes ages for them to make the building again) I can send my own squad in to clean up.

Offline Sansari

• Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2007, 11:27:58 pm »
I just ion on the side of the smelter... It's a one-hit kill if you do it right because the smelter has 453 health. The blast from the ion laser does 450 damage, and the wave does about 60 damage at max. So just fire an ion beam on the side of the smelter and it's gone. You don't have to waste a nuke for a long range attack.