Author Topic: Machines 2: What kind of Game?  (Read 8281 times)

Offline Judas

• Current Status: Reviving
  • Gorilla
  • Relax!
    • View Profile
    • Fallout 3 Forum
Machines 2: What kind of Game?
« on: January 20, 2007, 01:47:04 pm »
Hey, I know Machines is a RTS, but can't we change M2 into something different? I'm not saying we shouldn't do a RTS, but if we start with something different, something new, something innovative, people will sure to play it!

Suggestions from my side:
1. RTS
Same as Machines 1 but better (Not many engines?)

2. FPS
Thrd of First person perspective, the player has to complete missions to advance (Many Engines)
You either start each Mission as a Machine picked by the "controller" (Automatic) or you could choose your own Machine based on how well you did the last Mission(s)

3. MMOFPS (or whatever it's called)
Internet only, Missions can be played with more than 1 players (Engines Unknown, but there's LOTS of money to be made) or like Battlefield maps in which players battle each other

4. MMORPG
Players start as a basic Machine and by completing missions (quests) it can gain in rank, earn money or exp. With this money the player can buy upgrades to better Machines(Grunt -> Reaper) or better Weapons. if you have allot of exp you can carry very good weapons, or do more damage(again, engine? I think even more money yto be made :))

5. Puzzle Game
Very simple, short. But there is some quick money to made I think. We just think of a old puzzle game, put machines textures in it (a link to this websit:P) and sell it to a bad "Online Games Seller" offcourse if the game is very neat we can sell it to a good online games seller, or sell it ourself on the streets

6. RPG
Same as the MMORPG, but less populair since the coming of the MMORPG(I think) It's simply the same as the MMORPG, but in your own(just like TES4:Oblivion)

7. Strategy Game
Like Rome: Total war and Medieval 2: Total War, large battlefield with many units(plus a large map you can conquer!)

8. Roller Coaster Tycoon?
The humans came finally and you have to make them comfertable? By making...rollercoasters? Nah, just like RCT, but without the themed rides :P (I'm running out of Idea's!)

9: Imperium Galactica
A own type since it's the only game I know that uses it, you have 3 kinds maps, a overview(galaxy) map in which you can control your units(fleets), A 3D Battlemap, used when attacking a fleet or a planet and a third Planetmap, used for building stuff on the planet(barracks, factories etc) It does sound like a game I know...hmm :P)

10: Turned Based FPS
A lá Worms

11: Race Game
Simply add a twisted storyline how a bad Machine crashed your uhm....Machine, and your AI wants revenge, build you Machine(driving, flying, floating, hover...sounds like diddy kong racing :D) from scrap parts and battle on! uhm, race on...

12: The Movies....wait
Well, my last suggestions, and the worst one :P Create a game in which you have 400 different scenes and then you can create you own movies in western, horr... no, only Sci-fi, sorry

Please everybodies PROFESSIONAL comments

Offline Jabor

• M2 Development leader of: Offtopic Posting
  • Eradicator
  • Nukage
    • View Profile
    • Quantum Legacy
Re: Machines 2: What kind of Game?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 05:11:38 pm »
<snip>

Me likey all apart from 8, 10, 11 and 12.

Oh, and I agree with you about 6, but I think making that first then stepping into 4 would be good.

Oh, and I don't like 5 either, it would completely ruin Machines.
I still have my original Machines disks and manual....

Offline Judas

• Gorilla
  • Relax!
    • View Profile
    • Fallout 3 Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 10:49:29 am »
Oh yeah, forgot to add, Acclaim(new one) is publishing (massive multi) online games, so if we create one(which is hard, and making it a good game is even harder) we could give it to Acclaim earning us at least hundreds(if not thousands :P) per person

And the puzzle game(5) is more a "On your own" project, you could do it with game creator programs like Gamemaker. It's very easy to do, but it will still earn you some bucks(I think)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 11:14:51 am by Judas »

Offline 3DFreak

• Modeler
  • Eradicator
  • The juggler here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 07:06:40 pm »
Judas...
Check out Hostile Waters...
It has a very diferent game-play then normal RTS games. :-)
You acctualy drive one vehicle and from there you can control others.

Cheers
There is a freak for everything and I mean everything

Ohh... And sory for my bad english. :-P

Offline Sansari

• Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 08:39:20 pm »
Definitely an RTS... It also has first person shooter mode anyway... I think if machines 2 wasn't an RTS, it would take away the aspect of the game that many of us machine players love. Commanding hordes of machines to destroy hordes of other machines...

Offline Deliverance

• is back!
  • Goliath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 09:58:41 am »
I suppose you could make some spiritual sequels to machines, set in the machines universe but have them as something like a turn-based strategy or a first-person shooter or even a side-scrolling game, but it seems most people would like it just a re-vamped continuation of the original game we played and loved.

As for making money, the idea of mods should be (or at least start out as) a love of the game and the want for more dialogue and storyline and a refreshed playing experience and it should make for a better game that way.

as for a mass multiplayer online game, that would require a whole lot of network coding and hosting for the game and whatnot I think.

Because of this I think the main focus should be on the RTS, and maybe the inclusion of FPS ascpects would make for something fresh in modern RTS gaming but keep with the original ideas.
Quote from: AgpKReaper
Fungi of moisture seized it.

Offline Sansari

• Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 11:02:31 am »
Turn based machines would be disgusting... Just kidding, but it would still suck. You would have to wait for your opponent to do something, and there wouldn't be as much of a rush. Also, I have played turn based games, and there is not as much action. For example, if there are enemies in your base in machines, you must do everything in your power to destroy them, but in a turn based game, there are just a ton of guys around your base, doing nothing. It really loses the rush of the RTS game if you make it turn-based.

Offline Judas

• Gorilla
  • Relax!
    • View Profile
    • Fallout 3 Forum
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 08:53:16 am »
Well if you look at Worms3D or worm 4, if you add enough landscaping it can still be a very challenging game. If we did Machines 2.1 and made it into a turned based game, we would cut out all the building things, and give the player 5 different kind of Machines to play with, first you have to select the Machines you prefer(Commander, Reaper, Knight, Warlord, Wasp, each with a pro and con.) And then you have to do missions, defeat the enemy, reach that location in X minutes, destroy 5 things, defend for 15 minutes etc etc.

Anyways, exact as Worms but than with more/different weapons and some (graphical) enhancements :P

Offline Sansari

• Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 12:00:56 pm »
I was thinking more along the lines of Civilization 3/4. It was kind of fun, but it would ruin machines. If you make it similar to worms 4, it would be better, but still not as good as real RTS.

Offline Deliverance

• is back!
  • Goliath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 12:34:42 pm »
Something based on either the Civ games OR Worms would be a very interesting side-project, but then we must consider the Machines FPS side project and the original RTS Machines 2 that people may end up working on ;) Might get bogged down with ideas and not much actual work done on any to show for it.

I like the idea of Civ games but I agree that the Machines universe is not the best to base it on for a number of reasons.
Quote from: AgpKReaper
Fungi of moisture seized it.

Offline Automatic

• Eradicator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 02:07:28 am »
I think it should stay the same but just more stuff :roll:

Offline totalmachinesfanatic

• Elvis
  • MACHINES
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 09:05:39 pm »
I don't really know what RTS means, but I think it would be a disgrace to Machines 1 if we changed to a different style of gameplay (keep RTS)
Sir Paul rulith thee

Offline Judas

• Gorilla
  • Relax!
    • View Profile
    • Fallout 3 Forum
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 01:05:14 pm »
disgrace, lol

Offline the1

• Wraith Reaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 04:47:47 pm »
May be a lame idea:

What about making a Flash game? Something like Endless Zombie Rampage, where you control a squad in what is essentially a rail shooter. We could use that as a sort of pilot project.

Offline Judas

• Gorilla
  • Relax!
    • View Profile
    • Fallout 3 Forum
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 04:58:35 pm »
Nah, we want a near-impossible to create RTS, no flash game :P