Author Topic: Machines 2: What kind of Game?  (Read 8237 times)

Offline Jabor

• M2 Development leader of: Offtopic Posting
  • Eradicator
  • Nukage
    • View Profile
    • Quantum Legacy
Re: Machines 2: What kind of Game?
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2007, 07:49:13 pm »
Seriously, it's a piece of cake to get a fileshredder that overwrites those sectors with random data 6, 7, 8 times. There is no way to recover the original data after that.

The key is to delete the files rather than unlink them.

Again with Cedega - my junky machine can't afford the minimal overhead incurred by shelling to anything. It just about chokes running native - and when I get involved in a large battle my framerate drops to around 10.

I still have my original Machines disks and manual....

Offline randomperson1

• Wasp
  • randomperson1: Insanity gone mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2007, 07:57:30 pm »
Yeah, windows only deletes the HDD index entry. A bit stupid, but there again, it makes things easier for the police...

Your PC can't be that bad...

Linux uses less hardware stuff than Windows so you might find that it runs faster under Linux. Maybe not.

Offline Apex-

• Mind the Penguin
  • Doctor
  • Goliath
  • I Seem To Have Left My Keys In The Lab...
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2007, 08:03:37 pm »
Linux installers now generally do everything by themselves. I know the Kubuntu one does. Fedora lets you partition, but doesn't resize partitions for you. Don't know about the Fedora 8 installer, though (Fedora 8 is still in testing stages). They both set up a boot loader for you, so you can have as many Operating Systems as your hard drives can hold. '

It required the use of something as normally useless as a Vista RC1 DVD.
For installing a boot loader...?

Uninstalling Linux and restoring your HDD to its original config is a different matter though...
Now why would you want to do that? It's actually pretty easy, although a little complicated. You just remove the Linux partition, go into the Windows Repair Console, run fixmbr (fixes the master boot record so it's in Windows' hands) and I think there's another command titled fixboot that you should run, too. After that, you can either use some sort of software to expand your Windows partition back to its original size, or just create another partition. This works the same way for uninstalling Windows and keeping Linux (except for the Windows Repair Console), which is actually a better direction in my opinion, considering you can just run lots of things in VMWare, Wine, or Cedega. But I keep a dual-boot for the more heavy-duty games.

Linux uses less hardware stuff than Windows so you might find that it runs faster under Linux. Maybe not.
Less hardware stuff? :P It simply isn't as intensive as Windows (generally, unless you're running some more intense stuff). Which is why a lot of servers (including this one) run on Linux. I know that my Linux system operates much faster than my Windows one. One of the main things that's at fault in Windows is the registry (which is quite a dumb concept in my opinion). It's just this gigantic database of everything... I don't understand why it can't just be kept in separate files.

Offline Jabor

• M2 Development leader of: Offtopic Posting
  • Eradicator
  • Nukage
    • View Profile
    • Quantum Legacy
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2007, 08:43:11 pm »
Well, back when Windows 3.1 came out, a single database was the best way to keep track of important information, and when independant software developers made there own software for Windows, adding their keys to the registry was the easiest way of "plugging in" to Windows.

Now, Microsoft can't just dump the Registry concept without losing almost all back-compatibility. The reason that it doesn't exist in seperate files is because every single software developer writes their system-specific data to the registry rather than using just a single key pointing to a seperate file.

I still have my original Machines disks and manual....

Offline randomperson1

• Wasp
  • randomperson1: Insanity gone mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2007, 04:16:38 am »
It required the use of something as normally useless as a Vista RC1 DVD.
For installing a boot loader...?

Actually, I'm not sure that that was the problem, I think that it was something else. The Vista DVD still helped. And yeah, the XP one is good enough, although it takes ages to load.

Offline Pyrus

• I AM THE FIRE, MAN!
  • Wraith Reaper
  • Fire is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2007, 01:16:28 pm »
Definitely an RTS... It also has first person shooter mode anyway... I think if machines 2 wasn't an RTS, it would take away the aspect of the game that many of us machine players love. Commanding hordes of machines to destroy hordes of other machines...

My first thought reading that... I thought of Battlezone/Battlezone II.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Offline M123

• Ignoranth ith...um... blifth!
  • Nurse
  • Bee Bomber
  • Blargh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2007, 12:28:35 am »
I thought of Battlezone/Battlezone II.
One of the greatest games ever.

"Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail?"

Offline Brainbox

• Wraith Reaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2008, 06:04:40 am »
a RTS like the first one.
but maybe this puzzle or race game could be a hidden minigame? or just making a minigame, that should not be taken to serious, like... don't know... a Reaper Auto-Cannon russian roulette (yeah I know, a stupid idea...)

Offline GodBishop

• Reaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2008, 08:09:02 am »
Well i dont know if you guys have seen those new MMORTS boundlessPlanet and Saga, ive played all them and they are very cool, But i still think i belive they need something like Machines, those perpective from inside a unit was what freak me  out frist time i played Machines like in 2001.

Just imagine Machines online, a Place where your empire would be there foreever or at least waiting for someone who could destroy it. What it would be necesary is to create a very good Macro intelligence to be able to set your base on defensive mode even if you are not conected. We can also use the sistem to send an email to your Palm to get know we are been atacked, and maybe a sistem to tell the base what to do via html to be defended at least till you return your home.

Well it would be the best game of the year if you guys could make a Machines 2 an MMORTS, and let me tell you this is a gnre that is growing very fast....

Pd: Sorry about my bad English, My frist language is Spanish....

Offline Brainbox

• Wraith Reaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2008, 12:38:21 pm »
Well i dont know if you guys have seen those new MMORTS boundlessPlanet and Saga, ive played all them and they are very cool, But i still think i belive they need something like Machines, those perpective from inside a unit was what freak me  out frist time i played Machines like in 2001.

Just imagine Machines online, a Place where your empire would be there foreever or at least waiting for someone who could destroy it. What it would be necesary is to create a very good Macro intelligence to be able to set your base on defensive mode even if you are not conected. We can also use the sistem to send an email to your Palm to get know we are been atacked, and maybe a sistem to tell the base what to do via html to be defended at least till you return your home.

Well it would be the best game of the year if you guys could make a Machines 2 an MMORTS, and let me tell you this is a gnre that is growing very fast....

Pd: Sorry about my bad English, My frist language is Spanish....

Massively multiplayer online real-time strategy?
nice Idea, but, correct me if I'm wrong, cause I'm no programmer, that would be even more difficult to program, cause I think everything has to be programmed for online-use only, and I'm a notoric offline-player (shame on me, I'm only playing against those stupid computers  :roll:), so I think single player mod will be coming off too short.

I would rather prefer a normal RTS with story mode and multiplayer, than a brain- and senseless online-only massacre like World of Warcraft (yeah, I know, it's a RPG, but think of it, it's only for online gaming)

that's just MY oppinion

Offline asdam1

• I'm glad to see you read these. :-)
  • Bee Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2008, 04:02:06 pm »
For the movies, I would personally recommend Blender.

link to website:
                     VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
>>>>>>>>       http://www.blender.org/        <<<<<<<<
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Have you checked out any of my mods?
-If not, it's probably because I haven't uploaded any. :wink:

Offline Kratos1987

• Reaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2008, 04:51:05 am »
I personally like number 4.
Since i was forced to stop playing machines due to microsoft upgrading windows to XP. i have beening playing many online games, and i enjoy how you start the game as weak as anything but the first few monsters / enemies, and as you gain strength and skills with exp. it becomes more open to the player and much more fun, although there need to be stat points involved too for HP and armor point increases and damages and maybe even defences as well as resistances to various types of attacks, of course putting in alot of boss battles will make is awesome and quests too!!   oh i surely can't wait, it sounds really cool already  8-)
I Cannot Die until i fulfil my duty!!

Offline Finlirarn

• Cadian Shocktrooper
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2009, 11:24:46 am »
I want it as Machines is, no speciality, just a Machines 2 with more units and better everything, gameplay still as Machines 1.

Offline Arrowraider

• Wraith Reaper
  • I am whatching you
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2009, 05:57:13 am »
same, but there could be more maps to play on. And if they could do it achivements which
you could unlock.  :w-hat:

Offline Ravenholme

• Reaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2009, 01:03:49 am »
Machines 2 might benefit from some form of over-arching RTS campaign like Star Wars: Empire at War, amalgamate EaW's overall management of Planets, with Machines RTS feature on the ground, and EaW's Fleet Action in space, and it might become not just an amazing RTS, but an Epic one.

Plus, the space phase would allow for entirely imaginative ship designs, which I can already partially visualise.