Author Topic: Machines 2: What kind of Game?  (Read 8242 times)

Offline asdam1

• I'm glad to see you read these. :-)
  • Bee Bomber
    • View Profile
Re: Machines 2: What kind of Game?
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2009, 02:38:54 am »
WARNING:
This is a very "sketchy" post. These thoughts have not been worked out, refined, or put into perspective.

I think that RTS is the only way to go for M2. I think that FPS or RPG would almost totally destroy the purpose. After all, there WAS something that Machines had that no other game has. I think part of it is the great plot, and how it almost makes you feel kind of sad (the old, worn out menu; the dark scenes, etc...), while it still maintains great gameplay. If we could replicate this 'reserved', and lonely feeling, I think it would be much more fulfilling. In fact, I'm thinking we should use some, if not all of the original features (units, weapons, NOT MENUS, possibly music) from the original game in addition to all the new units. As I have previously mentioned, I liked the idea of "Machines: The Big Shutdown". (seen somewhere within here: http://forums.wiredforwar.org/index.php?topic=386.0)

Keep in mind that this is only ONE PERSON'S thoughts! There may be a whole population that will disagree completely!
Whatever we decide, I hope that it breathes life back into Machines, and WiredForWar too!

Cheers!

-Asdam
Have you checked out any of my mods?
-If not, it's probably because I haven't uploaded any. :wink:

Offline ars68

• Wraith Reaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2009, 05:02:55 pm »
phase 1: space stage
you are presented a map of surrounding areas with planets, with various fleets with movement points on each.  this would be something like... civilazation? very limited tho.  basically, move fleets, you can buy ones at planets you control (something like the money system in battlefront galaxy war version... more planets you have, the more money you get) the fleets can engage each other, in a form of the ship vs satellite lvl in M1. game continues like this until you invade a planet with a fleet.  you would also be able to build satellites.  defense satellies have to be taken out before invading a planet, at the least wasting a turn allowing for additional reinforcements.  ion cannons provide limited ion strike abilities on the planet, you can destroy it, but there is a chance in attempting this the fleet will be shot down, forcing the remnants of it to 'crash land' on the planet.  due to force of it arriving tho, enemy presence is cut in half on the territory it lands on. (only 1 ion cannon can help at a time in phase 3 tho...)  one thing I should point out then, is that if there is 4 defense satellites, and you have only 1 fleet, by the time you destroy last one, the first one will be rebuilt, meaning you would HAVE to have multiple fleets to succesfully invade.  there would also have to be an option to do it autopilot tho.  perhaps the fleets gain exp as they fly around as well? higher lvl's = less dmg taken when taking out satellites, more dmg against other fleets, and bigger bonus's to ground forces when in orbit?
phase 2: planet stage
you are presented a map of the planet (this could be best done like the campaign map of emperor: battle for dune... a simple circle with lines running through it to indicate map borders.  each planet will have varying sizes, 4 territories per size (can be like, size 1 to 10) so larger planets WILL be larger, but give more income overall.  anyway, once you land your forces on a territory, you can attack accompanying territories.  your starting forces for conquering your first territory, will depend on h ow many fleets are in orbit.  you'll also get a bonus of 1-2 units per 'turn' based on number of fleets in orbit.  same is true for enemy, so best to take out fleets first.  this continues on until the planet is either completely won or lost, at that point it goes back to stage 1.  if you wanted, you could have it to where every 3 or so turns on the planet, equals to 1 space turn.  as an added bonus, satellites orbiting the planet are linked to a territory.  the satellites will rebuild themselves every 3-4 space turns, however there will be a ground based control center present in the map.  capture the center, satellite becomes yours.  destroy it, sattelite is permanently taken offline.  this is also to prevent just picking off all satellites before attacking.
phase 3: combat stage
whether it be fleet vs fleet, dropping a pod into an enemy territory, or simply attacking from one base to another, this is the part where you duke it out to destroy the enemy and capture the territory (or destroy opposing fleet) defense satellites and hovering fleets provide reinforcements from time to time, hovering fleets and ion cannon satellites provide space based artillery. this would be the main phase of the game, and personally, it would be possible for it to be rts/fps/rpg.  you build bases, and control units, you have a main control center tho for main bases (such as seeding pod) when in presence of seeding pod, you gain exp when killing units in fps mode.  bonus's obtained through this only apply to unit your controlling, however it is not lost when the unit is killed, only if the seeding pod is killed.  this would add an extra challenge to taking out the heart of the enemy.

anyway, probably looks rly jumbled up, but hope this helps... by the way, phear teh bunny  :bunny:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 05:06:30 pm by ars68 »

Offline Solo Ex

• "ALifeTimeOfDreamingGetsYouNoWhere,OnlyBydoingDoWeGain..."
  • Wasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2009, 03:05:11 am »
Time out people by the time this game is made they would have probably built better os and processing unit s so I suggest we get the best of every thing besides windows 98 is outdated and has been discontinued by microsoft .
I am a player of old games , still own a Pentium 3, 1 GHz
computer and don't think I'll be changing it any time sooner.Please sign the machines sequel petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/machines/

Offline ars68

• Wraith Reaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2009, 02:53:11 pm »
very true, why I didn't say anything on what would be used to do it.  generally if microsoft releases a new OS every 4 years, and only support the most current 2, that means if it takes more then 8 years to publish the game, the current OS your building on not only will not be the most current, but not even supported anymore.

hence, right now, should probably focus on just WHAT you want atm, and start building models, timeline, basically everything except how to tie them together, because once you have all that done, you can then concentrate on an engine that is supported atm, and get that done in the time you need it.  at least, that's what I would think you'd want to do...  then again, I could just be on the wrong end of the hammer  :lolhammer:

Offline Solo Ex

• Wasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2009, 11:13:41 am »
phase 1: space stage
you are presented a map of surrounding areas with planets, with various fleets with movement points on each.  this would be something like... civilazation? very limited tho.  basically, move fleets, you can buy ones at planets you control (something like the money system in battlefront galaxy war version... more planets you have, the more money you get) the fleets can engage each other, in a form of the ship vs satellite lvl in M1. game continues like this until you invade a planet with a fleet.  you would also be able to build satellites.  defense satellies have to be taken out before invading a planet, at the least wasting a turn allowing for additional reinforcements.  ion cannons provide limited ion strike abilities on the planet, you can destroy it, but there is a chance in attempting this the fleet will be shot down, forcing the remnants of it to 'crash land' on the planet.  due to force of it arriving tho, enemy presence is cut in half on the territory it lands on. (only 1 ion cannon can help at a time in phase 3 tho...)  one thing I should point out then, is that if there is 4 defense satellites, and you have only 1 fleet, by the time you destroy last one, the first one will be rebuilt, meaning you would HAVE to have multiple fleets to succesfully invade.  there would also have to be an option to do it autopilot tho.  perhaps the fleets gain exp as they fly around as well? higher lvl's = less dmg taken when taking out satellites, more dmg against other fleets, and bigger bonus's to ground forces when in orbit?
phase 2: planet stage
you are presented a map of the planet (this could be best done like the campaign map of emperor: battle for dune... a simple circle with lines running through it to indicate map borders.  each planet will have varying sizes, 4 territories per size (can be like, size 1 to 10) so larger planets WILL be larger, but give more income overall.  anyway, once you land your forces on a territory, you can attack accompanying territories.  your starting forces for conquering your first territory, will depend on h ow many fleets are in orbit.  you'll also get a bonus of 1-2 units per 'turn' based on number of fleets in orbit.  same is true for enemy, so best to take out fleets first.  this continues on until the planet is either completely won or lost, at that point it goes back to stage 1.  if you wanted, you could have it to where every 3 or so turns on the planet, equals to 1 space turn.  as an added bonus, satellites orbiting the planet are linked to a territory.  the satellites will rebuild themselves every 3-4 space turns, however there will be a ground based control center present in the map.  capture the center, satellite becomes yours.  destroy it, sattelite is permanently taken offline.  this is also to prevent just picking off all satellites before attacking.
phase 3: combat stage
whether it be fleet vs fleet, dropping a pod into an enemy territory, or simply attacking from one base to another, this is the part where you duke it out to destroy the enemy and capture the territory (or destroy opposing fleet) defense satellites and hovering fleets provide reinforcements from time to time, hovering fleets and ion cannon satellites provide space based artillery. this would be the main phase of the game, and personally, it would be possible for it to be rts/fps/rpg.  you build bases, and control units, you have a main control center tho for main bases (such as seeding pod) when in presence of seeding pod, you gain exp when killing units in fps mode.  bonus's obtained through this only apply to unit your controlling, however it is not lost when the unit is killed, only if the seeding pod is killed.  this would add an extra challenge to taking out the heart of the enemy.

anyway, probably looks rly jumbled up, but hope this helps... by the way, phear teh bunny  :bunny:
That sounds way too much like Star Wars Empire at War ,If I may say so ............But I like it ,it adds an extra level excitement .
computer and don't think I'll be changing it any time sooner.Please sign the machines sequel petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/machines/

Offline ars68

• Wraith Reaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2009, 05:49:44 pm »
heh, I couldn't say how closely it resembles empire at war... never played it.  but with that way, you could in effect leave the storyline with special conditions for certain planets, and leave EVERYTHING else to the player... it would also make the campaign a very long game, as taking over a fully developed planet would probably mean a good 20-30 battles, if you win them all :P

then again... I suppose one way to make it a bit faster... is selecting how many satellites you want to attack.  like if you attack all 10 satellites encircling a planet, with 10 fleets, it's gonna give you very very huge map with an impassable terrain of the planet in the middle, and 10 bases for you and 10 bases for other player... that would be interesting.

Offline Solo Ex

• Wasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2009, 03:37:45 am »
heh, I couldn't say how closely it resembles empire at war... never played it.  but with that way, you could in effect leave the storyline with special conditions for certain planets, and leave EVERYTHING else to the player... it would also make the campaign a very long game, as taking over a fully developed planet would probably mean a good 20-30 battles, if you win them all :P

then again... I suppose one way to make it a bit faster... is selecting how many satellites you want to attack.  like if you attack all 10 satellites encircling a planet, with 10 fleets, it's gonna give you very very huge map with an impassable terrain of the planet in the middle, and 10 bases for you and 10 bases for other player... that would be interesting.
wow that sounds great ,but of course it must not be too hard otherwise people will be turned away from the game .

Offline ars68

• Wraith Reaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2009, 04:17:41 pm »
heh, it would also be 1 heck of a coding job to... as it would have to have a variable map that can adjust to meet x bases ships atking x satellites.

or maybe we're thinking of it the wrong way? you REALLY wanna take it to the 'pmg what?!' level...
you design your fleets to have x weapons, or x armour, and such, and when you attack you get those ships to attack the  planets defenses with...

say you spend 10000 credits on a huge armour ship that has vast amounts of armour but little guns, then another 5000 credits on like, 30 small long range weapons platforms... and let the big one soak up the damage as long range ones tear up the satellites.

I'm thinking a system like battleships forever would make it really interesting :P  if you don't know what that is, it's a free downloadable game, only 2d, but between that and the ship creator, you should get what I'm talking about...

Offline Solo Ex

• Wasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2009, 11:25:45 pm »
heh, it would also be 1 heck of a coding job to... as it would have to have a variable map that can adjust to meet x bases ships atking x satellites.

or maybe we're thinking of it the wrong way? you REALLY wanna take it to the 'pmg what?!' level...
you design your fleets to have x weapons, or x armour, and such, and when you attack you get those ships to attack the  planets defenses with...

say you spend 10000 credits on a huge armour ship that has vast amounts of armour but little guns, then another 5000 credits on like, 30 small long range weapons platforms... and let the big one soak up the damage as long range ones tear up the satellites.

I'm thinking a system like battleships forever would make it really interesting :P  if you don't know what that is, it's a free downloadable game, only 2d, but between that and the ship creator, you should get what I'm talking about...
I really like that indeed .But like you say it would be one heck of a coding job maybe we should take apart Star wars empire at war and see how it works so that we can use the design to create machines 2 , and no I've not heard of battleships forever .

Offline ars68

• Wraith Reaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2009, 04:43:56 pm »
you know... I take it back... battleships forever may be -to- open ended in the designing... that and the fact 2d is kinda hard to use as an example... perhaps a system where models have hard points, and you can decide to put stuff on said hardpoints?  (example game: galactic civilazation, just look through pics, you should see what I mean)