Author Topic: What is so special about Machines?  (Read 5964 times)

Offline tailkin

• Warrior
  • I did set my text, I will crush you!
    • View Profile
Re: What is so special about Machines?
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2010, 08:34:53 pm »
its the same reason people still play (and mod) Diablo II: its a timeless game that has a broad appeal. There are no politics, no history lessons, just a bunch of machines out for (mechanical) blood!

Offline pchill05

• Wraith Reaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2010, 10:01:33 pm »
I think I got the demo as a gift from my bro in law. He worked for EBGames and they were throwing it out. From the very first demo mission of travel from point a to b, I was HOOKED! I'm busier now but I still play the missions at least two or three times a month(used to play daily\nightly). For some of us I think this game was hypnotic. Anyways there has never been a game that puts the player at all angles, and with complete control over multiple drones! I used to play this game for hours on end and never get bored, kind of like a chess game. You really had to have developed a good strategy in order to defeat the enemy in the higher levels. Or you can play take the pass and just load up and attack. The game has everything!WOW my post is random and rambling but the game is great!
Birds fly, bees sting...I just beat people up.

Mohammed Ali

Offline swordman600

• A.I. leader of the purple Machines
  • Grunt
  • so a reaper and a grunt walk into a bar.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 01:22:34 am »
the only reason that people like machines because it was an awesome game for it's time
if you look at some RTS games today like "supreme commander" then you'll see is has that sort of feeling when you play it except in machines you could go FPS and explore the insides of your back (in some buildings)
in fact i have a feeling that supreme commander is sort of based off of machines in game play
to tell you the truth is was so addicting it was the first game that got me addicted to video games in the first place and still today
when life gives you lemons make cranberry juice and let the world figure out how the fuck you did it

Offline Mahmoud

• Openmachines dev
  • Eradicator
  • Sometimes change is needed, in any direction
    • View Profile
    • Just a game...
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2010, 01:00:46 pm »
Ma
the only reason that people like machines because it was an awesome game for it's time
if you look at some RTS games today like "supreme commander" then you'll see is has that sort of feeling when you play it except in machines you could go FPS and explore the insides of your back (in some buildings)
in fact i have a feeling that supreme commander is sort of based off of machines in game play
to tell you the truth is was so addicting it was the first game that got me addicted to video games in the first place and still today
machines still has components that I have never seen in other games, especially not all together in one
IRC join #wiredforwar
Development

Offline reaper_24

• Knight Templar
  • *static*WHOOOSKA Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2010, 03:40:35 pm »
to this day i have not seen ANY RTS game that lets you go first person....makes it so unique :-)

Offline hc-9

• Scout
  • I DIDN'T SET MY TEXT SO COME KILL ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2010, 02:01:03 am »
well there are actually so much things that make it special i cant even start to count
but i still love the grafix like i do the one of total  anihiliation boxy but with an soul that made it so very special from the wasp to the judas warlord and the gorilla
and the Units were a little bit funny with mixed heavy rational maschine look u got the feeling you were ordering some dump little gorillas around but then if some things sucked u just got the first person view and i loved the missons design and the abillity to move into your buildings. For some resons this game was generations ahead of the other games and i still dont get it that there is no maschines 2 even thou it would only be a remake with better grafix and an other story :( it would have a huge gamingimpact. Well but lets stay at the topic of why it is so awesome well you should have had a multiplayer game with 2-4 dudes it was so funny to play and the techtrees they were cool and u got superunits like gorilla or a nuke or ion cannonc and u wantet them fast as possible and it gives me even now shivers of joy to just steal like everything with judas warlord ^^.
if u get attacked and flanked and there were so much possibillitys through the different units especially if 4 human players clash against each other ^^ first person comera bekomms so true powerfull. Gott a total sentimental flashback now :(. Aww and the Voices of everything was just superb made atleast with the i think i dont know german or was it int version that i got awww dont remind. But they were so mechanical for every unit but still uniqe and some way hostile. The Story was Uniqe too i never heared of a game that let have terraformer robots war. I still love it and i hope i find my CDs somewhere to play it again 

Offline ss9090

• Warrior
  • OonnnnnLLLIIINNNNE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2010, 06:22:56 pm »
I havn't been able to play machines in quite a while, but lets give it a go!

Machines, even today remains my favourite game of all time. I believe that its not only all the cool features that everybody else has already mentioned (which believe me, can't do the game justice just to talk about it), but its the atmosphere the game creates that makes it so appealing. Ive always been a fan of machines and AI, and this game ties the gamplay and the story perfectly together with a feeling of pure cold hearted, step by step logic that only a machine could create. I don't know how to describe it. This game not only pioneered gameplay, in some ways better then todays games do, but managed to drag you into its atmosphere and get you into the sequences of these machines.  Not to mention the nestalgia I feel for this game, as well as (I assume) the rest of these people that have stuck around here so long.

What is so special about machines? A better question is what isn't. :D

Offline madaxe

• Warrior
  • I DIDN'T SET MY TEXT SO COME KILL ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2011, 08:21:16 pm »
my dad bought machines for us - i was only, what, 6 years old at the time? we played it ALL THE TIME - it was the best game to have, there was no substitute!

however, my brother (hate him, always have, always will) loaned the game to a friend, not a little while ago. we had forgotten about it. it came back with a HUGE scratch - and when i tried to make it work, the "N" stopped it. my dad thought it was the CD's and chucked them. so sad... :cry:

but i found this website! and i love it! theres no machines website like it... mainly because there is no other machines website.... but its the best game.

you may not think its that special - but think about back when it was first made.

it is a FPS and a Strategy game. ingenius!

its graphics were not all that bad, and the range of weapons is great!

who agrees?

could not agree more, the simple fact you can walk around in a build destroy type game set this apart and still to this day not many compare. :)

Offline Nurse jeballi

• Nurse
  • Wasp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.artofmagic.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2011, 04:15:21 pm »
I have sent a link to this thread to a few of my ex-colleagues. Thanks for the kind words. I love machines except for the pathfinding!
Ask me anything about Machines and I'll try to answer! I don't have the source code anymore. No idea what happened to it...

Offline spazz

• Mechatronics Student
  • Wasp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.peterschwe.de.vu
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2011, 04:39:52 pm »
A. It had some cool 3Dfx graphics
B. It's look and feel is so cool.. even the reapers look cute with their eyes and little legs and yet they respond acoustically so evil; the menu is a mainboard (inside a machine or the pod?) (the lightnings probably are the cause of the malfunctioning of the machines!); you may feel like home as a technichian inside a pod; there are wheelers, tetrapedes, hexapedes, flying and tracked units each can be developed further
C. Ego Perspective (although it sometimes can be very boring, it's exciting to get closer to the foggy enemy's base with the risk, either to get shot), there's also a multiplayer level with ego-perspective-only gorillas for each player!
D. Again, the units have great (visual) charactics and details; also the terrain is realistic: if a shot hits a hill, it can't hurt the unit behind it, etc.
E. I never played it through, but some day I will
F. It's story is simple, yet catchy

:D HOLY POLYgon!! :D

Offline X.A.N.A.

• Team Lyoko's Archnemisis!
  • Elvis
  • I, XANA, am back!....from my vacation. :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2011, 08:48:58 am »
What I love about this game is:

1. The graphics for its time are awesome! I also liked how this game has detail in even the smallest and unexpected places (going into your bulidings! I'd never done that before and did it on accident in first person view...so cool!).

2. The quite diverse technology pathway. I don't see any kind of 'howitzer-style' unit, though (long range firepower hitting ground units/buildings). I don't go through all of it, though, but that's just me.

3. The AI can be quite challenging, and it is slightly different each game. Even though 9 times out of 10 you're likely to destroy them easily, there is that one chance where they wait for you to come to them and then it is actually quite hard at times.

4. The great story, even though I don't play the campaign at all, still is quite cool to read.

5. The general atmosphere. The Reapers sound cool and deadly, the explosions and rocking the game camera when giant buildings explode is neat, the different weapon effects, and the general feel of being in a war when things aren't ending as swiftly as I'd like (sometimes the AI can hold out for quite a while).

6. First person view, though I hardly ever use it (not that great at controlling my keyboard), still is a neat feature that I have never seen coupled together with any other game.

7. The slight similarities to another game I like,  Battlezone I, as they are both of the same vein, sort of (but I don't recommend you go to their site, since unlike this place they have some 'competition' and strife between two different versions of the game and both webmasters are claiming their version to be the best).
Battlezone's another underrated game released practically about the same time as this game, too, though this one is a rarer find than Battlezone I.

8. The fact that Machines is sort of rare in that pretty much no one owns a CD copy of the game disks (there are a few on Ebay and other places, but only a few and once those sell then there won't be any more sells of this game) since it didn't really sell that great back in the day and the music off the game isn't copy-able at all (which makes it rarer and more of a benefit to own the disks since although you can get songs as MP3s, it's not the same).

The only complaint I have is that it's impossible (at least from what I read here, which I trust) to copy the music off Disk 2, so I have to keep my disk 2 safe in a CD sleeve if I want to play the game with music.
I mean, they did make MP3s of the songs, but what I mean is I myself can't just take the Disk #2 and make backups of the songs off the disk itself and then make a second CD with that there on it.

So, unlike every other game I own, this one is the one I have to keep the disk from being damaged - though it is now starting to show some discord, since that when I was trying to install the game again it couldn't successfully copy the 'flics' folder data and I had to copy it from the backup I made a year ago when the disk was in better shape (though the music works, it's just that 'flics' folder on Disk 2 that is unable to be copied).

Luckily, I made a copy of the backup I'd made a long time ago onto the computer I was installing it to, so this won't happen again (it was real hard trying to get that backup to copy over to my other computer, since nothing was working on the computer the backup was made on, I luckily got around it by using Dropbox to upload and then download again a ZIP file with the backup in it).
IRC:
XANAVirus

Hamachi:
XANA-W7COM1 - 5.140.27.198

XANA-W7COM2 - 5.77.211.32

XANA-WVLAPTOP - 5.90.26.8

Neither XANA-W7COM1 or XANA-W7COM2 are always online.

Contact me @ XANA-WVLAPTOP first - please make sure when you do so that the IP is the one listed here, so you can be sure it's me.