Author Topic: Composing for OpenMachines  (Read 3850 times)

Offline ScrewTheSystem

• WFW Employee
  • Eradicator
  • Let us instigate the revolt, down with the system
    • View Profile
    • Warez-bb.org
Re: Composing for OpenMachines
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 07:53:16 pm »
And also cookies

:bunny:
Remember when being a Wrath Reaper was badass? Those were the days. . .

Offline The Merciful

• The Bunny King
  • Eradicator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 08:48:25 pm »
for the bunnies

:bunny: :bunny:

I wouldn't pet the bunnies if I...

Offline ScrewTheSystem

• WFW Employee
  • Eradicator
    • View Profile
    • Warez-bb.org
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 08:56:34 pm »
Will this last

Offline The Merciful

• The Bunny King
  • Eradicator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 08:59:57 pm »
17 replies already

Offline Suskis

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 03:53:56 am »
I suppose the original music SHOULD be copyrigthed, but if I recall all Machines music is available on Youtube. Anyone will then be able to download the tracks and add them as mp3 inside a proper game folder.

As per the voices: they where on of the best and coolest thing on the game (I have used the voice "ASSASSIN WARLORD ONLINE" as a cellphone ringtone for incoming sms around 10 years ago! I don't know if you can copyright such a thing as a voice saying something.

Generally speaking, I think that it would be a smart move to have a sort of "unofficial" pack containing original music and voices (or even textures) so that the fans could just download it from somewhere and add it to the newmade game (much like the original cds where available to play the game). An unofficial way to avoid copyright issues!

:bunny: ]
niente dovr? fermarci questa volta!

Offline Synthonym

• Elvis
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 03:57:56 am »
Serious post here.
I think that it would be near impossible to remake the machine voices. It would take too much time and absorb many frustrations. Besides, the voices don't sound bad.

interesting. Dannian, I think with the right software and know-how, we can somehow recreate similar sounds to the originals. Just a hypothesis, though, but it's not like they used alien technology to do it.  :-o

Mahmoud's completely right - it wouldn't actually be that difficult to copy the techniques used to make the original sounds. Sounds like a mix of granulizing, distortion and vocoding.

The original soundtrack had what... about twelve tracks? Which is probably about half as much as it needed, but of course, CD-space constraints. Also, it wasn't techno more than it was electro / drum and bass / even a touch of industrial. Think about the soundtrack to MDK2 or System Shock 2, it's fairly similar. I might import them into the software I use, see if I can EQ them up a bit, give them a bit of polish. Cyberpunk-ish music is what I excel at. :D

Voices, sound effects, etc, all would use similar techniques to create. With more modern software and jiggery-pokery, it's possible to make new sounds which really had some oomph.

I've noticed some people ask about dynamic music (quieter, calmer music when not fighting, heavier when you are, etc), are there any plans for that?
I write music!

Industrial:
www.soundcloud.com/synthonym

and Chiptune!:
www.soundcloud.com/Broken-bit

Offline Automatic

• Eradicator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 12:26:17 pm »
I suppose the original music SHOULD be copyrigthed, but if I recall all Machines music is available on Youtube. Anyone will then be able to download the tracks and add them as mp3 inside a proper game folder.
Well, we're going with the machines and audio not copyrighted. We can ask several developers. There is jeballi here, some guy named TitanFind on youtube, and another guy name KaitanCPS (or something) also on youtube. There are also a couple others on the forums, forgot their names though. Either way, they probably couldn't copyright "Machines," plus the game is called OpenMachines, so that's different. Of course, I'm more concerned with Acclaim copyrights, although both companies are dead. You can also download the machines music at the Download Section.

As per the voices: they where on of the best and coolest thing on the game (I have used the voice "ASSASSIN WARLORD ONLINE" as a cellphone ringtone for incoming sms around 10 years ago! I don't know if you can copyright such a thing as a voice saying something.
Apex- wanted to make new voices, but we don't really have voice actors. If we do get good machine voices, we'll add an option for classic/new voices.

I've noticed some people ask about dynamic music (quieter, calmer music when not fighting, heavier when you are, etc), are there any plans for that?
I haven't really thought about it again since development started, but it has been put to mind. I'm not going to worry about it for now, but it's very possible. I don't know how much it would work out with the current machines music. Plus I'm not sure if I can make the non-battle music pause and play after battle has stopped. Probably can, but more challenging.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:19:10 pm by Automatic »

Offline Mahmoud

• Openmachines dev
  • Eradicator
  • Sometimes change is needed, in any direction
    • View Profile
    • Just a game...
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 12:30:43 pm »
There's actually a widget made for spring engine that does this already. It's in the top widgets on springfiles.com last time i checked. I think whoever is interested should look it up :D
link: http://springfiles.com/spring/lua-scripts/ta-music-widget
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 12:36:37 pm by Mahmoud »
IRC join #wiredforwar
Development

Offline The Merciful

• The Bunny King
  • Eradicator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 02:02:37 pm »
There are less than 8 tracks in the disk two CD. They last 30 minutes all together....

EDIT: You bastards killed the mock three words game. I hope you're happy. I should chuck bloodthirsty bunnies at you.

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:26:57 pm by Dannian »

Offline Synthonym

• Elvis
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 02:48:41 pm »
I haven't really thought about it again since development started, but it has been put to mind. I'm not going to worry about it for now, but it's very possible. I don't know how much it would work out with the current machines music. Plus I'm not sure if I can make the non-battle music pause and play after battle has stopped. Probably can, but more challenging.

There's actually a widget made for spring engine that does this already. It's in the top widgets on springfiles.com last time i checked. I think whoever is interested should look it up :D
link: http://springfiles.com/spring/lua-scripts/ta-music-widget

That's your way then. :P

There are less than 8 tracks in the disk two CD. They last 30 minutes all together....

As good as they are (and damn, they're good), 30 minutes is not a long time for a soundtrack. That sort of thing gets repetitive quickly.

I think the best way of doing it would be to have two options, an 'Original' mode, playing the OST as it would by default, and an 'Updated/Dynamic' mode for playing dynamic music. Similar to the Original/3DO/UQM choice from the Open-Source version of Star Control 2.

The dynamic music could be a mix of old and new tracks, alternate arrangements, and remixed versions, for example, taking one of the heavier songs off of the OST, making a calm version (or vice-versa), and having the two complement one another. Indeed, if that were done and the two songs worked at similar or complementary BPM rates, having one crossfade into the other would sound awesome.

In fact, the idea of having an upmastered soundtrack consisting of both old and new tracks, as well as remixes of the old ones, seems quite attractive.
It would greatly extend the length of the soundtrack overall, making it a lot less repetitive, as well as keeping in with the original theme.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:50:53 pm by Bizarre_chicken »
I write music!

Industrial:

and Chiptune!:

Offline The Merciful

• The Bunny King
  • Eradicator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 03:00:48 pm »
Just don't get our hopes up too high and then never do anything. That has happened before. 

I play machines without music, I really don't think many people enjoy game music too. But : :bunny:

All Aboard the disappearing train

:choochoo:

Offline ScrewTheSystem

• WFW Employee
  • Eradicator
    • View Profile
    • Warez-bb.org
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 03:13:17 pm »
All aboard the dissappearing train!
 :choochoo:

o0 Where's it heading to?

Offline The Merciful

• The Bunny King
  • Eradicator
    • View Profile
Mock 3 word game
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 03:19:01 pm »
bloodthirsty bunny lair

Offline Synthonym

• Elvis
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 03:27:46 pm »
I can has work now, but I'll see if I can put anything together when I get home tonight.
I write music!

Industrial:

and Chiptune!:

Offline ScrewTheSystem

• WFW Employee
  • Eradicator
    • View Profile
    • Warez-bb.org
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2011, 03:46:14 pm »