Author Topic: Composing for OpenMachines  (Read 3767 times)

Offline The Merciful

• The Bunny King
  • Eradicator
    • View Profile
Re: Composing for OpenMachines
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2011, 01:11:08 pm »
That's already included, I think.  :?
:bunny: :bunny:

I wouldn't pet the bunnies if I...

Offline Automatic

• Eradicator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2011, 09:51:04 pm »
He got it working on... Internet Explorer... eugghhh...

Offline Synthonym

• Elvis
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2011, 03:40:14 am »
He got it working on... Internet Explorer... eugghhh...

God, don't remind me. Eugh.

Back on topic, is there anything that needs doing that I can start on? Any bits of sound or pew-pew noises need making?

I write music!

Industrial:
www.soundcloud.com/synthonym

and Chiptune!:
www.soundcloud.com/Broken-bit

Offline Mahmoud

• Openmachines dev
  • Eradicator
  • Sometimes change is needed, in any direction
    • View Profile
    • Just a game...
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2011, 07:21:15 pm »
use firefox  :smilydude:
see if you can remake some of the random sounds from machines, if you want. I'd like it if we made new ones, at least eventually. (vortex sound as a start maybe?)
IRC join #wiredforwar
Development

Offline The Merciful

• The Bunny King
  • Eradicator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2011, 08:18:05 pm »
*cough* *cough* (more important work = learn to texture units with blender)

:bunny:

Offline Synthonym

• Elvis
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2011, 08:29:22 pm »

>implying that graphics work is all we need to make this into something awesome
I write music!

Industrial:
www.soundcloud.com/synthonym

and Chiptune!:
www.soundcloud.com/Broken-bit

Offline The Merciful

• The Bunny King
  • Eradicator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2011, 08:34:23 pm »

>implying that graphics work is all we need to make this into something awesome

I do not understand the meaning of this. It would be a waste of time to recreate the game sounds for now. I understand that it is wise to remake game music because the original maker could have copyrighted his music but, come on. Don't waste your time.

Offline Mahmoud

• Openmachines dev
  • Eradicator
    • View Profile
    • Just a game...
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2011, 09:19:10 pm »
I disagree, but it's true that we can't copy/paste anything visual, at least not as easily as the sounds. Still, though, I would like sounds that actually follow whatever license we put on this game. (I think it's gonna be gplv3)
IRC join #wiredforwar
Development

Offline Automatic

• Eradicator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2011, 09:23:34 pm »
No reason to stop a different section from doing their job. We can get textures, I'm just not concerned about it as much at the moment. We can always do it ourselves, but we would like to have someone more experienced.

In other words, since this game most likely is going to be completed, there is no reason in stopping chicken from working on the tracks. Yes, we can use the old ones, but when we have someone making new tracks, no reason to stop that.

Offline The Merciful

• The Bunny King
  • Eradicator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2011, 09:24:42 pm »
No problem  :bunny:

Offline Automatic

• Eradicator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2011, 04:26:54 am »
I just hope throwback doesn't have the copyrights. I mean, it really is a forgotten game. We're almost the last people who know about it, the wiredforwar community. We'll have a license so nobody can run up and copyright the machines and other content anyway. Basically, we'll license it once it's a game in playable alpha version or an early version.

To go a little off track, throwback entertainment seems really abandoned. The website at least. Anyway, avoid asking them any more questions. If they get many questions about machines, that might be the cause of them copyrighting it. The surprising part is that they haven't made any (public) remakes since they copyrighted the games. That's funny because they did that in about 2005 I think.

Anyway, just don't worry about copyrights for now I guess.

Offline The Merciful

• The Bunny King
  • Eradicator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2011, 04:37:43 am »
There are probably more people who know about Machines out there but the problem is finding people who still care about this game. Twelve years have passed since it was released. People have moved on, lost interest, even...died. It isn't really forgotten. There are so many comments on YouTube about people who want to find this game. I don't bother them though, doubt they care to contribute and will probably leave after they download. And when I do comment, their responses make me sick, really. Too much vermin in this world.

I haven't bothered Throwback in a long time. Maybe since the beginning of August. I'm pretty sure they bought Acclaim's I.P. in 2007, but I could be wrong. No problem, ignorance is bliss.

Offline ScrewTheSystem

• WFW Employee
  • Eradicator
  • Let us instigate the revolt, down with the system
    • View Profile
    • Warez-bb.org
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2011, 10:42:09 am »
I just hope throwback doesn't have the copyrights. I mean, it really is a forgotten game. We're almost the last people who know about it, the wiredforwar community. We'll have a license so nobody can run up and copyright the machines and other content anyway. Basically, we'll license it once it's a game in playable alpha version or an early version.

To go a little off track, throwback entertainment seems really abandoned. The website at least. Anyway, avoid asking them any more questions. If they get many questions about machines, that might be the cause of them copyrighting it. The surprising part is that they haven't made any (public) remakes since they copyrighted the games. That's funny because they did that in about 2005 I think.

Anyway, just don't worry about copyrights for now I guess.

Can you really just 'copyright' something you make? I mean, doesn't it involve paying or something like that? I have no idea, but seeing as no-one can just 'copyright' anything they make (as far as I know, anywayzzzz).

Twelve years have passed since it was released. People have moved on, lost interest, even...died.

Making it a golden olden (litteral translation from Dutch =P) =)

Remember when being a Wrath Reaper was badass? Those were the days. . .

Offline Automatic

• Eradicator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2011, 11:18:37 am »
I haven't bothered Throwback in a long time. Maybe since the beginning of August. I'm pretty sure they bought Acclaim's I.P. in 2007, but I could be wrong. No problem, ignorance is bliss.
They bought over 150 (158) titles from acclaim, but acclaim has many more than that. We should just forget about it. Machines wasn't even marketed well. But that's what happens when you publish with a well known publisher. They don't care about the games they don't want to market as much.

And when I do comment, their responses make me sick, really. Too much vermin in this world.
Things like what?

Can you really just 'copyright' something you make? I mean, doesn't it involve paying or something like that? I have no idea, but seeing as no-one can just 'copyright' anything they make (as far as I know, anywayzzzz).
You have to register a copyright which does cost money. We'll probably be using GPL before someone is motivated enough to be a "butting idiot" and pay to copyright a game for no reason.

Offline Mahmoud

• Openmachines dev
  • Eradicator
    • View Profile
    • Just a game...
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2011, 02:57:49 pm »
There was a law passed in America (copyright varies globally) that said anything released on the internet (or anywhere else I believe) is copyrighted by the maker automatically, and he can choose to change it from "all rights reserved" to something else, like public domain or creative commons (aka "some rights reserved").

GPL is a software license, but I think it also covers the copyright junk. It's called a "copyleft" software license, which means it is a copyright, but it allows distribution, and forces any redistribution to be under the same liberating terms.

GPL is free to use, which means copyrights are free to change, but the original maker has the last say. Money is involved when lawyers are paid to help us understand this crap, and when someone else pays us to change our copyright, so they can use it or own it or something.
IRC join #wiredforwar
Development