Author Topic: Bought the Game the month it came out :D  (Read 855 times)

Offline wildh0rse

• Playing since Fall, 1998!!!!
  • Wraith Reaper
    • View Profile
Bought the Game the month it came out :D
« on: September 17, 2011, 09:46:46 am »
Howdee do, everyone. I purchased Machines in 1998.  I had the "correct" video card for it....  remember that ?!? ... and was hooked from the first moment on.

I spent that WHOLE SUMMER of 1998 trying to crack "Behind Enemy Lines" and I have to say it's the most challenging level.  Even more, in some ways, than the last  level.  Well, in the last level you need to just Judas the hell outta the place as you have chump-change for resources.  That room in the upper left from the start point is one wild ride.  I love sending in the Judas, treachery-ing a Goliath (or 2!) and watching them annihlate each other.  :smilydude:

I am currently playing B.E.L. as of right now.  I gotta say the levels I hate the most are the indoor ones, and that insane Satellite whatever where you use only aerial units and build mines on asteroids.  God I hate that.  Except for the end when you just destroy at will!!!!  :holy:

The second to last level is also a challenge, but MUCH more doable, I think.  The keys are that damn nuke to your east, the center to your South, and mopping up all those Gorillas with the Judas... I love that. 

I like the skirmish play very much.  You want dedication? About 7 years ago I sat down and calculated the EXACT damage for each machine's weapon.  I figured out the distances too by approaching a machine until it was in range and using the data from the documentation made a chart.  Where it went, I don't know but i'd like to try again.  The plasma weapons generally kick butt.

The most powerful machines have to be the triple plasma knight and the Judas, the former can kill anything and the latter is a strategic weapon that is invaluable in the advantage it gives.  The Judas can be killed easily, so I always heal them and try to use them only in first person. 

Anyway thanks to all for keeping this epic game alive.  No other battle game gives as much satisfaction, and first-person MAKES this game. 

Wh
  :-)
I can apeak endlessly of bunnies and squids, yet, I cannot put the letters " L  O  L  " together without a red tag?!

Offline X-Lord

• Eradicator
  • Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Bought the Game the month it came out :D
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 10:08:42 am »
Hi there. Yes, BEL was very confusing, but building the second flying APC solves the irritation. Of course sometimes blue's wasps block the way and you have to build another APC. Anyway, these days I am good enough to destroy their base and just walk the commander 'on foot'.
Generally Machines contains of a wonderful campaign. Not to mention 1st person mode...

Good to see a ma(ch)niac.

greets

Offline Mahmoud

• Openmachines dev
  • Eradicator
  • Sometimes change is needed, in any direction
    • View Profile
    • Just a game...
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 02:50:09 pm »
Very descriptive enthusiasm. Eye liek.
IRC join #wiredforwar
Development

Offline The Merciful

• The Bunny King
  • Eradicator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 05:20:21 pm »
You actually took the time to record weapon damage?  :-o All of the data is on the parmdata file... I thought level 4 was the hardest. I had to cheat in order to beat it.

Hi there and ignore the bloodthirsty bunnies and kitten-burgers going around.

:bunny:
:bunny: :bunny:

I wouldn't pet the bunnies if I...

Offline Game_user10

• =DG=Wraith
  • Knight
  • FEAR THE SCARAB!
    • View Profile
    • RuneScape - The World's No.1 Free MMORPG according to Guiness World Records
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 07:18:09 am »
I thought level 4 was the hardest. I had to cheat in order to beat it.

You disgust me, woman! Hah kidding I had lots of trouble too.
The last level I actually filled a quarter of the room (where you start) with Judas Warlords and basically the enemy was giving me free machines.

Offline The Merciful

• The Bunny King
  • Eradicator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 02:53:38 pm »
I basically removed the enemies' buildings...  :wink:

Offline X-Lord

• Eradicator
  • Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 05:28:18 pm »
What's the 4th mission? Tell me its' goals, please :)

Offline The Merciful

• The Bunny King
  • Eradicator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 08:05:33 pm »
I think it is the mission where you have to capture the enemies BMU settlement in the beginning and fight the gorilla and crusaders for the 1st time.

Offline X-Lord

• Eradicator
  • Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 09:00:35 pm »
Oh, I get it. Yeah, it was quite challanging. Scavengers for teh win there ;)