Author Topic: Problem with music on the original CD  (Read 1257 times)

Offline X-Lord

• Eradicator
  • Modder
    • View Profile
Problem with music on the original CD
« on: January 31, 2012, 06:16:10 am »
Hi there.
When I'm playing machines I have the music playing in the background till a track ends. After that music volume turns off. I have to set some volume in the options menu and the same track starts playing and then again and again and again I have to repeat the whole operation. Anyone know why? Or have any ideas how to fix that? It's really annoying. It happens on different maps. I found a highly cpu-using process described as an audio 'something' while playing machines. Maybe there's the reason of my problem.

cheers

Offline mb

• Wraith Reaper
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with music on the original CD
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 09:34:42 pm »
What kind of soundcard and system do you have?

Offline X-Lord

• Eradicator
  • Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 07:20:25 am »
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
AMD High Definition Audio Device

Win7 64bit.

Offline mb

• Wraith Reaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:52:12 pm »
Strange. This looks like the auto-mute function of sound card.

Did you start Machines as Administrator? Maybe it's refresh from registry key value with cd volume.

Offline ScrewTheSystem

• WFW Employee
  • Eradicator
  • Let us instigate the revolt, down with the system
    • View Profile
    • Warez-bb.org
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 09:02:17 pm »
Exactly what's the name of this cpu-consuming process? Tried googling for it? Maybe you'll get similar results?...

Doubt it, though...

:squidly: :squidly:
Remember when being a Wrath Reaper was badass? Those were the days. . .

Offline X-Lord

• Eradicator
  • Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 05:48:50 am »
I tried to update IDT drivers and got no sound at all, so I uninstalled it and tried again - with the same effect. Now I have a 'default HD audio codec' - quality of the sound is far worse than it was before and still Machines are auto-muting the music. Damn...

@STS gonna find out. Good idea, forgot about it while messing with sound codec drivers :P

Offline naums

• Knight
  • Oettinger Games Dev
    • View Profile
    • Oettinger Games
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 03:50:22 pm »
I have the same thing here. Apparently Windows XP and later does auto mute the bgm after the first track. Or better: turns the CD-Rom Drive out. You know, you have to have the CD in there and it has to read every single second for you hearing the song. PowerConsuming -> Windows turns it off after some minutes. I've read something about a patch (unofficial) for that problem, or was it Turok 2, I've read something about? hmhm...

Well... Whatever. Only workaround is ripping the music from CD (to eg. mp3) and play it in the background with wmplayer.exe or vlc.exe. I don't even know if Wine does it correctly. But I sure know, that the environment in wine is black, because it doesn't support the dust-stuff, radio-noise thing, they used to make the map black at the beginning of the match - so you have to explore everything. I got pretty off-topic here, didn't I?

Regards Naums

Offline Mahmoud

• Openmachines dev
  • Eradicator
  • Sometimes change is needed, in any direction
    • View Profile
    • Just a game...
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 05:59:26 pm »
what's this about wine? Is there any benefit to using it on windows? (does it even work on windows?)
IRC join #wiredforwar
Development

Offline naums

• Knight
  • Oettinger Games Dev
    • View Profile
    • Oettinger Games
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 09:51:21 am »
You can patch Wine's files to windows, but there isn't anything good about it and it'll probably crash everything. Wine (=Wine is no emulator) is used to get Windows Applications to work under linux. So, if you have Wine installed under Linux (like Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Red Hat,...) you can run Notepad++ or other simple applications as well as games. It doesn't work quite well yet and it's very buggy, but you can run some apps under Linux, without having to install Windows. (Doesn't support every app; see winehq.org for more) Some games do work quite well with wine under linux, but others don't. Machines is totally black, Thandor crashes while showing the first video sequence. The Settlers IV do work pretty well, as well as Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Wine is used in ReactOS as well to get it comatible to Windows, which is the goal of ReactOS. (for that see reactos.org)

I hope I was able to help.

Offline Mahmoud

• Openmachines dev
  • Eradicator
    • View Profile
    • Just a game...
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 11:32:04 pm »
Thanks but I know what wine is. I've used it before :p. My question was just about why we're considering its use within Windows.

Also isn't the goal of reactOS to be able to have an OS that runs windows stuff without needing something like wine? :lolhammer:
IRC join #wiredforwar
Development

Offline naums

• Knight
  • Oettinger Games Dev
    • View Profile
    • Oettinger Games
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 01:19:28 pm »
They do use wine's files for having something to run Windows Apps. They don't want to write everything themselves, and if the guy's from Wine did a good job there, why not using that? Both projects get profit of each other - eg. Bugreports and stuff.

Offline Mahmoud

• Openmachines dev
  • Eradicator
    • View Profile
    • Just a game...
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 05:22:22 pm »
I can see why you would want wine code to be an integral part of reactOS. It makes sense when you put it that way.
IRC join #wiredforwar
Development

Offline naums

• Knight
  • Oettinger Games Dev
    • View Profile
    • Oettinger Games
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 04:11:10 am »
In addition: If ReactOS supports Machines totally maybe you can patch the ROS FIles to a WinXP and try it out. Or install a plain ReactOS (sounds somewhat weird, doesn't it? "Install a ReactOS") and try it that ways.

If I'd have a guess the problem may be due to your BIOS, which shuts down CD-Drives if not used to save power. It's only a guess but it may be fitting in here. :)